News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Could it be a fualty fuel pump?

Started by wonwon6, 02 May 2008, 10:50 PM

wonwon6

I took the 280SE out for the usual Sat. spin today.... started up after the normal few cranks BUT did notice a little stumbling hesitation...it then settled down like the fuel was flowing smoothly again and I drove away. everything normal, great pickup, smooth acceleration. I then stopped at the market came out a 1/2 hour later  cranked it over and it started the stumbling blup blup thing again only this time it wouldn't stay running it would just turn over and then kinda blug blug and quit. had to call roadside assist and get a TOW  :'( first one ever for ol' Gollum... what does this sound like to you oh wise ones
I'm thinking Fuel Pump?

jbrasile

Dear wonwon6,

Before blaming the fuel pump ($$$) I would check the system pressure to rule the pressure accumulator and/or the pressure regulator. Fuel pumps usually quit and don't work again and since you seem to have an intermittent problem I'd check those two first.

Igintion problems may also cause these symptoms, how are the dist cap, rotor and cables.

I had a bad coil on my 450SEL that caused a stumble at idle and a miss when taking off from a stop, coil replaced, problem gone. You might investigate that as well.

Regards,

Joe

koan

Quote from: wonwon6 on 02 May 2008, 10:50 PM

blup blup ...  blug blug

I wouldn't immediately go for the fuel pump, your noises suggest slow running and possibly drowning in fuel. Any strong petrol smell accompanying the condition?

What year, is it K or D Jet?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

wonwon6

it's a 1977 Koan  I think it's the D jet and there;s no petrol smell at all... had a recent service new plugs , leads. vacuum etc... coil must have checked out at the time. linkage is good took off the air cleaner and looked into the throttle body intake (?) no smell...

Ross

koan

Quote from: wonwon6 on 03 May 2008, 04:13 AM

I think it's the D jet and there;s no petrol smell at all.

In that case I'll leave it to the D-Jet experts to diagnose.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

jbrasile

wonwon6,

Your car being a 77, it is a K-Jet. D-Jet 280SE's were phased out in mid 76.

If all the ignition components are in order, have the fuel system pressure checked to rule out the accumulator and pressure regulator. If they are ok, then the fuel distributor might be the culprid.

Regards,

Joe

wonwon6

will do . I'll let you know what happens next week
thanks Joe,,, thanks Koan
Ross