News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Correct spark plugs for 1979 450SE

Started by Brian Crump, 13 July 2006, 05:25 AM

Brian Crump

I am seeking advice regarding appropriat spark plugs for my 1979 450 SE (Australian version). Any ideas?
Currently I run the standard MB recommended Bosch plugs (no - I don't know the number/heat range and the car is in Syndey and i am in Paris so I can't whip out the back to pull a plug and check...)
When I use the car on long trips all is OK but when it is limited to city driving it fouls the plugs after a few weeks. I use Optimax petrol- the compression is good - no oil burns - petrol flow and fuel distribution from injectors seems correct. 'Scope shows timing to be correct....
The next item to check is the plugs - perhaps I am not using the most appropriate ones.
Open to suggestions and recommendations...
Regards,
Brian Crump
PS: if you ever want spare panels for your 116 you need to go to Bahrain - 3 weeks ago I saw a huge number of 116s just sitting around fading in the sun - RUSTFREE!!!!

Nutz

Bosch Supers always  8)

W7DC for Euro's
W9DC for US

Don't fall for any sales pitches on Bosch platinums ! They work better with KE Jetronic  ;)

Nutz

Aren't you guys 'down under' running on leaded fuel? I would think that the tetraethyl lead would cause problems with the platinum itself because of the two not being compatible chemically.Of course I may be mistaking.  :-\

cipha

Australia has been lead free for some time now.

Standard 'Pump' fuel is 91 RON: Optimax [Shell] and other Premium fuels go to 98 RON and we do have a happy middle grade at 95 RON.

Nutz

Quote from: cipha on 13 July 2006, 08:23 PM
Australia has been lead free for some time now.

Oh! Maybe it's South Africa then ???

QuoteStandard 'Pump' fuel is 91 RON: Optimax [Shell] and other Premium fuels go to 98 RON and we do have a happy middle grade at 95 RON.

I'm jealous  :o That 91 RON is our highest octane (Super Unleaded) here  >:( Our "regular" is about 87.5 .

oscar

Hi Brian and all,

I had WD8C's and for some reason even after a clean two of them refused to spark.  They were only 6 months old and travelled uner 2k km. I thought it was leads but I put in NGK  BP6ES and had no problems.  The NGK plugs have been in there before but keep in mind no matter what plug I've had in, they've always come out black due to a multitude of factors which are slowly being sorted out.

Call me a brandist, but I'd rather have Bosch purely because of the "made in Germany" stamp unlike the Japanese NGK.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

Nutz,

We HAD leaded fuel in South africa until January of this year.  NOw we have unleaded and LRP - "lead replacement petrol".  I use LRP in my 280SE euro and 450SL euro and they seem to run OK.  I've been too scared to use unleaded for fear of valve seat recession.  Can anyone comment on this?

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

BAR

S Class - on the subject of Unleaded fuel.  BP suggests:-

"The small number of vehicles which are currently using LRP can use either BP Ultimate or BP Premium Unleaded Petrol in conjunction with a lead replacement additive.

These additives enable you to switch to a Premium Unleaded Petrol with similar octane performance and engine protection to that for Lead Replacement Petrol. A switch to BP Ultimate would yield higher engine performance and protection.

BP Ultimate, with its high 98 octane rating is the perfect substitute for pre 1986 vehicles that require high octane fuel.

Mforcer

Quote from: s class on 14 July 2006, 02:14 AM
I've been too scared to use unleaded for fear of valve seat recession.  Can anyone comment on this?

Check out the older topic http://forum.w116.org/index.php/topic,281.msg1846.html#msg1846
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200