News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Correct Australian Radio?

Started by dodd23, 18 March 2018, 09:13 AM

dodd23

I have recently picked up a 1974 350SE that was sold new from Diesel Motors in Perth Australia.

The car is fitted with what looks like a period correct Clarion radio, but from everything I have read, it seems like they were all fitted with the Becker units. Can someone advise as to whether or not this was the case? Were they all fitted with Becker units or is it possible that the car was originally fitted with the Clarion unit?

I don't have much to suggest that this is the original radio, but I am unsure as to why anyone would replace the Becker unit with something that isn't newer/superior?

rumb

Back in the day Clarion was an upgrade to most car stereos. It was aftermarket.   I had one in my W108 for several decades before I put an original back in.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

dodd23

Oh ok I see. So are you suggesting that it is possible that the car was originally fitted with this radio as an upgrade (As far as I am aware they were delivered to Australia without the radio fitted), or rather that the original owner had the Becker taken out and the Clarion put in?

gf

Pretty sure my previous owner who ordered his w116 new came with a pioneer unit. Definitely sounded better than the Becker I replaced it with after it failed

TJ 450

Radios were dealer fitted accessories and you could order the cars without a radio if you wanted. If it has aftermarket speakers installed with grilles and there is no evidence of the round 5" Becker speakers + grilles and 3 screw holes it's likely that was the original setup.

However that Clarion unit looks late '70s to me just thinking about, so perhaps a later fitment.

Just another edit... as for the sound quality of the Becker radios. At the time they were a very expensive unit, and as far as sound quality and reception was concerned they were well ahead of the game. The main reason they sound Lo-fi today is ageing capacitors, the Frako electrolytic capacitors are not as good as those used by the Japanese manufacturers, however the film caps and other components are still considered good today.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500