News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Cooling System Info

Started by TNNBENZ, 23 November 2021, 03:08 PM

TNNBENZ

Is  radiator inlet breaking a common occurrence when removing hose.  Do they break or fail because of corrosion ?  Also any advice before I remove the hose & thermostat ?
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

Jan S

As you know I'm just about to assemble all my new cooling hoses and new thermostat (6.9 engine). I also had to buy a new thermostat housing and cover. Still waiting for a few hoses, takes time to acquire all the stuff :'(

In the process, the thin 8 mm nipple at the radiator top broke (return to reservoir tank). Not unusual after 46 years. Will be welded.

Removing the other hoses and thermostat was easy. Some of the hoses were a bit stuck, but careful wiggling from side to side did the trick (maybe apply a thin/flat screwdriver-type of tool to carefully loosen the hose from the flange at certain points). I would say the bigger inlets/outlets (38 mm on my car) are fairly strong, even after 46 years.
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

TNNBENZ

Quote from: Jan S on 23 November 2021, 06:21 PM
As you know I'm just about to assemble all my new cooling hoses and new thermostat (6.9 engine). I also had to buy a new thermostat housing and cover. Still waiting for a few hoses, takes time to acquire all the stuff :'(

In the process, the thin 8 mm nipple at the radiator top broke (return to reservoir tank). Not unusual after 46 years. Will be welded.

Removing the other hoses and thermostat was easy. Some of the hoses were a bit stuck, but careful wiggling from side to side did the trick (maybe apply a thin/flat screwdriver-type of tool to carefully loosen the hose from the flange at certain points). I would say the bigger inlets/outlets (38 mm on my car) are fairly strong, even after 46 years.
Congratulations on your progress.  You persevere very well...........you continue to inspire me...........thankx so very much.......
Also this post clears up some more of my fears. I believed the nipple prone to breaking was the Radiator inlet.  I was almost about to give up restoring my car.  Glad to know I was wrong.  Also I thought if breakage was so common in cooling system parts the thermostat bolts would probably be corroded to the block.  I had decided when I replaced my thermostat if a bolt broke I was gonna sell my car....... ::)  ::)  ::)  well stop work for a while,  ::) probably a LONG time.....    Well you saying removal went easily gives me more much needed GOOD news........
     YOU GIVE ME STRENGTH 2 PERSEVERE ha !!!  :)   ;)   :D   MAY THE MERCEDES GODS continue 2 bless us both ~~~
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

Jan S

Yes, support from higher forces is sometime helpful  ;D

My thermostat housing and cover was heavily corroded, had to buy a new used one. The two bolts to the water pump was easy to deal with, so was the four bolts on the cover.

I can pick up my renovated radiator next week. All other parts have arrived (all hoses, clamps, thermostat housing and cover). Cleaned aux air valve is also ready. Assembly week after next week.
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine