News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Compression check: how to disable fuel injection?

Started by michaeld, 08 May 2007, 05:12 AM

michaeld

Quote from: CraigS on 12 May 2007, 03:14 AM
No specific link documenting that. Just experience. You will only get a marginal increase in compression by continued cranking - maybe 5 psi.

Craig,
I'll go with a marginal increase, as it is certainly well within the realm of the possible.  After the first few cranks, my vehicle hit its "max" and then the gauge didn't seem to move after that - but then we didn't keep cranking on it. 

Five psi isn't very much (when I was getting 160 plus), but it certainly is enough to seemingly even out cylinder pressures OR seemingly put them out of whack given that all your cylinders are supposed to be somewhere between 10 psi or within 10% of one another (there's several different versions of "how close," I found).

Given that my compression is good, my pressure test was good, and the like, I'm willing to just decide I've got a healthy engine.  Since my 450SEL is a second car, I'll have the additional luxury of choosing the distance of the drives she goes on, which takes it out of the realm of "crisis" - at least once I get past the smog test hurdle.