News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Companion Plate Flange Orientation

Started by TJ 450, 26 January 2009, 11:04 PM

TJ 450

When I removed the propeller shaft from the 6.9 some weeks ago, I inadvertently separated the two halves and I hadn't marked them.
There's a lot to be said about not taking the service manual's advice. ::)

I have since discovered that the are three, if not one possible positions for the sliding spline. This is due to the fact that, by design, three spline grooves always remain unused and therefore show no signs of wear.

For me, there is only one way it goes together where the slots in the female half line up properly. However, I'm not 100% certain this is correct. The two companion plate flanges are out of alignment by 10mm or so, but maybe this is correct, as my 450's shaft is assembled such that those flanges are also out of alignment similarly.
I'm wondering, are flanges and the U-Joint supposed to be in phase with each other, or would this not matter?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

When I did my center bearing support I marked everything with dots of yellow paint. I assembled the slip joint matching the yellow dots and put it back in the car. It was then I noticed the spiders for the flex plates were out of phase 10 or 15 degrees.

Something I was going to fix next time, assuming I wasn't accurate enough with the yellow paint but maybe it's correct.

I don't quite follow what you write about grooves being unused. I don't recall anything like that but I wasn't looking for it either. Do you mean one of the two parts has splines missing, like three wide groves in the female or possibly three splines missing from the male part?

Pictures?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

TJ 450

Yes, there are three wide grooves on the female section. This is because there are three slots in it to allow the clamping nut to work.

Here's a very descriptive pic  8)...

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Zuendfolge

Hi Tim,

I would put it together as you think it was most obvious mounted before (regarding the grooves dirt marks).
If you will notice vibration from the driveshaft you will have to redo it and try another of the 3 possibilities.

I don't think that  the flanges have to be in phase

Good Luck!
Zund

TJ 450

Thanks Zund, I think that's what I'll do.

I have noted that my 450 has those flanges slightly out of phase, but that car has a driveline vibration that's minimal, but enough to annoy me and detract from the experience of driving it.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

Quote from: TJ 450 on 27 January 2009, 04:46 AM
This is because there are three slots in it to allow the clamping nut to work.

Ahhh, yes, I see :)

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!