News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Cold start problems

Started by ProjectBone, 27 October 2006, 10:29 AM

ProjectBone

Hi guys;

My 280S is having heavy problems firing when cold. Just a couple of cylinders start at the first attempts, and I have to keep trying until it reaches normal operating temperature before it really runs good. But then it runs perfect.
The choke seems good, as do the spark plugs, wires, rotor and distributor cap.

Any hints?

oscar

Hi PB

Good to hear from you again.  As a guess I'd say it could be the cold start injector or even the auxillary air valve.  That's what I'd suspect on my car at least.  I'll see what others post first because I'm not sure what the difference is in the 280.  What year model is it again and what fuel injection is it k-jet or d-jet?  That may help to diagnose.  Cheers.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

ProjectBone,

I'm not sure that many of us here have much carburettor experience.  Since its an issue when the car is cold, it must be one of the "pull down" mechanisms.  The mechanical choke should be easy to verify for correct operation.  Some carbs also have an automatic temperature controlled choke that can give hassles.  And vacuum based enrichment. 

You might try talking to some of the W114/W115 guys who will be familiar with the carburetted M110.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

Oops,

Sorry, I forgot the 280s was carburetted.  Forget all I said PB, except the "good to hear from you" bit.  How's it progressing?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

ProjectBone

Hi guys;

Thanks for the inputs, I'll be sure to check out the tips.

And thanks for asking oscar, I found out this car is really fun to work with. A lot of smart solutions that not many other car factories would bother with, like the spring-released distributor  :D
The isolation under the hood have rotted or something, so every hole in the engine compartment is filled with greased foam rubber bits  :o
I also got a new ignition switch with the wheel lock and key - bought it from germany for 25 euro postage included - kinda glad because the local Mercedes garage wanted around 250!

The problems now is to find suitable parts for the exterior, are having massive problems finding suitable bumpers and a nice-looking grill  :'( Seems like everyone either have a fully-restored w116 or just sent it for wrecking. But It'll turn up I'm sure!

Again, thanks for all inputs and I'll surely be back  ;D