News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Clunk engaging reverse

Started by Mforcer, 14 November 2004, 02:22 PM

Mforcer

Hello all, I need your help, again.

There is a noticeable clunk when engaging reverse gear on my car. I recently had the transmission rebuilt and the mechanic tells me that is normal but I just don't believe it.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong? Does anyone else hear a clunk when engaging reverse gear. What should I ask the mechanic to look at?

Thanks,
Michael
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

gordonperry2003

Hi

I bought my 1979 450SE (UK spec)in Aug 2002 - it always makes a gentle clunk engaging reverse, after a delay of less than a second after moving the lever.  

The clunk is more noticeable when idling speed is high (about 1200rpm) during warm-up.  I believe this is normal - I certainly don't worry about it!  

GP

Mforcer

Quote from: "gordonperry2003"
I bought my 1979 450SE (UK spec)in Aug 2002 - it always makes a gentle clunk engaging reverse, after a delay of less than a second after moving the lever.  

The clunk is more noticeable when idling speed is high (about 1200rpm) during warm-up.  I believe this is normal - I certainly don't worry about it!  

Thanks GP for the confirmation. I am never sure if it is just my over-analysis of any work done on my car and something that has always been there but not noticed.

I am still interested in knowing what the cause of it is.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Serpico

I have had most models since 73 including 200E, 230TE, 280E, 450SE 190 2.3 and E220, they all give a bit of a clink when reverse is engaged, it's when they don't your in the Doo Doo, usual means a strip and rebuild with seals and belts.