News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Cleaning

Started by TNNBENZ, 30 September 2021, 04:49 PM

TNNBENZ

Any advice on how to clean all the many fuel system valve parts, air accessory, idle, cold start, etc...etc...  Any other parts you know of  I have left out.
My concern is possible problems pertaining to disassembly,  what cleaners are safe. I am in the processes of replacing the complete fuel system. Some parts I hope to clean & refurbish. because as we all know what parts are available, most are expensive........Thank-you as always...........
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

I ask what cleaners are safe because some parts have diaphragms and plastic. Others may have hidden parts I do not know about and also I hope to take some apart and I want to know if some should not be taken apart for reasons I do now of. 
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

rumb

I have a parts cleaning tub from Harbour Freight that uses petroleum based solvent available at industrial supply businesses.  You can also use a water based solvent in them. Other parts cleaners are carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner in spray cans.  You can use Simple Green to clean parts, you spray it on, scrub and rinse with water.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

UTn_boy

We don't know what car/model/engine/fuel injection system you have.  Even so, there's no cheap way around a lot of these fuel related parts.  Welcome to the W116 hobby where you sink 3 times more into the car than it'll ever be worth, but you love just the same.  ;) 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

revilla

Ultrasound works great for certain parts

rumb

"Others may have hidden parts I do not know about and also I hope to take some apart and I want to know if some should not be taken apart for reasons I do now of. "

When you work on a part of your car you can use the search on this forum to find out information.  Pretty much every part on the cars have been discussed here.  Then you can also start a new topic for any particular issue and ppl will help you.

PS update your profile signature and you can put your car info there for future use.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

TNNBENZ

Quote from: UTn_boy on 01 October 2021, 11:47 AM
We don't know what car/model/engine/fuel injection system you have.  Even so, there's no cheap way around a lot of these fuel related parts.  Welcome to the W116 hobby where you sink 3 times more into the car than it'll ever be worth, but you love just the same.  ;)
I totally agree.....I have to 2 STRAY vehicles I rescued.  I had 13 rescued dogs & 4 cats. Lost 2 dogs.  The longer I have all of them the more I get attached. I was a little excited when I found the Merc.  It was practically given to me.  I knew nothing about them ,now I have rare manuals, parts.........as you say I am  almost hooked in a money pit...
I do enjoy it though.......so far.  If I does not run well soon........I may rat it out.............ha........... ;)  ;)  ;) ... put a Rolls Royce Engine in it with carbs out the hood..........
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof