News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Change Your Flame Guard Filaments!

Started by brettj, 30 March 2008, 12:33 PM

brettj

Hi All,

Just to let everyone know, changing your breather hoses and flame guard filaments makes a HUGE difference in engine performance! I changed both flame guards with new ones and also replaced both breather hoses . The motor of my 450SE idles smoother, has more power and has actually increased the  fuel economy!

I'm not sure if changing these items has solved my warm start problem yet.  I will have to drive the car on a day when I do lots of errands. That's when the warm start stalling issue usually comes up..

Brett

s class

Forgive my ignorance, but what are these flame guards, and what happens to them that they need to be replaced?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

brettj

The flame guard filaments are commonly known are spark arresters. They are little brass wire bands that sit in each valve cover. MB states that you must clean these filters every 10,000 miles. Eventually they get covered in soot and old oil creating a blockage in the engine breathing system.

I can't believe the difference in my car since I've replaced such a simple part!

oscar

Brett, that's fantastic news.  8) 

As you know, I haven't got any but I will.  Obviosly they are there for a reason.  Would you know the part number/s by chance?

EDIT
Sclass - look here, even the m110 is supposed to have them.  If they do have them and they clog up, well you get running probs.  Probably a much overlooked service item.
http://handbook.w116.org/Maintenance/MY72/762.pdf
1973 350SE, my first & fave

brettj

Hi Oscar,

Yes good news but the flame stopper change did not stop the warm stall issue. It now seems to be getting worse! The air temperature and engine temperature sensor wires in my car are very brittle and not covered with insulation anymore.  Perhaps those wires are not passing along the correct signals to the sensors. I'm going to replace them to see if that helps the problem.

The flame stopper part number from Mercedes Benz is - # 000-018-32-60.  Price is $8.00 USA. each.

koan

Quote from: s class on 30 March 2008, 02:08 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what are these flame guards, and what happens to them that they need to be replaced?

I don't think 6.9s have them, there's no mention of them in any of my books, I've never seen them in the parts books.

My 6.9 never had them but that means nothing.

Where exactly do they go? In the hoses or in the bosses on the cam boxes?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

Koan, have a look at that pdf file in my last post, it's got pictures of where the filaments go in both banks, but they're inserted into short metal pipes on the cam covers where the brether hoses attach. The m110 looks like it's on the air filter housing.

Thanks for the part number Brett, I'll chase a couple up.  Obviously not having them I don't think will cause any dramas, or hasn't in mine at least, but your experience shows how new or cleaned filaments can make a difference over old clogged ones. 

Regarding the warm running issue, I read about the doubt on the wiring integrity to the sensors.  I hope you're onto something 'cause I'm clueless as to what else there could be.  If you unplug the air filter temp sensor, revs will change at idle.  I can't remember the conditions and operating limits and when at idle a drop or increase will occur.  But the coolant sensor or T2 I think, if unplugged will prevent the engine from starting altogether.  Both are worth investigating with a multimeter as the sensors and or wiring may be playing up.  I haven't got the values with me at work here but do a search in the library for the same info or,  Nutz's d-jet troubleshooting post here and on benzworld I think also has the ohm readings for both sensors under different temps.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

koan

Quote from: oscar on 30 March 2008, 09:55 PM

Koan, have a look at that pdf file in my last post, it's got pictures of where the filaments go in both banks, but they're inserted into short metal pipes on the cam covers where the brether hoses attach.

OK, done that (now).

Is there a lip or something that stops them from falling in the works or are they just a tight fit?

koan

brettj

Thanks Oscar. I'm going to play with those wires as a start to trouble shooting this problem. The D-Jet post you referred me to suggests checking all electrical connections before hitting up the major parts.

Koan, The filaments are just a tight fit in the valve covers. There is no lip to hold them in place.

HAKO

Hi guys,

I have ordered the flame guard filament ( in Athens costs 6 Euro), but nobody
knows, even the MB dealer, where to put it and what is the use of it.
I own a W116 280 SE 1975 made for European market and i beleive that
this filament never was in this car.
The air filrter housing is different than the one of the maintenance pdf.

Harry

brettj

Harry,

The flame guard filaments serve as spark arresters. They often pug up from crud in the motor  and can reduce the breathing capabilities of the motor.

If your motor is engine 130, it looks like the flame guard fits in the cylinder head  cover. Remove the breather hose and you will see the filament sitting in the valve cover. Take a pair of pliers and pull the old filament out. Do the opposite to install new.

Ryan1980

i took the hose off my 450 but there isnt any filament in there, just a hole going into the head.
Should i have these filaments?

nathan

koan, ryan,
on the 6.9 - are these in the 'base' of the tube that comes off the airfilter housing  on the drivers side (for RHD) rocker cover?
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Ryan1980

i checked there as well - nothing there!

weird huh..

koan

Quote from: nathan on 13 April 2008, 04:37 AM

on the 6.9 - are these in the 'base' of the tube that comes off the airfilter housing  on the drivers side (for RHD) rocker cover?

They are supposed to be pushed into the rocker cover (see oscar above) but I don't have anything in either side.

I'll ask the MB man about them when I pickup my chain guides.

koan