News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Central Locking for W116 which came without central locks

Started by rparker, 27 September 2021, 07:28 AM

rparker

Good Evening all,
In a bid to make the new car (to me) a bit more comfortable and more up-to-date. I've decided to install electric power locks. The car didn't come with powered locks originally and for some reason were never installed before. Evidenced by no wire tunnel into the door jam and the rubber caps that have been painted over as many times as the car.

I have however read from other forum member posts that it'll end up making the car lock sound like a cheap Toyota. I have another Lexus LS400, and frankly they sound fine, very quiet but in traditional Japanese fashion, it works quietly, efficiently and is very soft sounding. Not bad but not keeping in fashion with a W116 which is older, rougher and more utilitarian in its designs.

I have however heard the AK-47 reloading sound of the powered electric locks on G-wagons and think they would suit the W116 much better.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RG4sRcZvSM (do note the door pins are still the same, despite the 40 odd years difference)

I do wonder what is it that makes the sound, is it the solenoid itself, the placement of the solenoid or just due to the harmonics of the door of the G-wagon being so solidly built. I would argue that the W116 door is just as solid from the sound of the door close and could possibly make that locking sound too. I've searched online and it seems a set of 4 new G-Class Power Lock Solenoids are around $100 (Part No: 0048202542) and any moderately priced controller would suffice from the local part store.

Now I would like to draw on the knowledge of the members here if it is something that can be done, an aftermarket controller that controls G-wagon Solenoids inside the W116 door frame. It would certainly sound very impressive to have a W116 with doors that lock like a rifle gun reloading. Would certainly add to the sinister and serious look that the W116 possesses.

Has anyone done this? Ideas?

Cheers.
Ryan
77' W116 280S, 4-Speed Manual

ptashek

Do people really care about what the central locking sounds like? I'd just install whatever aftermarket kit fits and be done with it.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

rparker

Sure, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Nabstud

Just two wires, most likely works the same as the generic central locking kits. Can pick them up off ebay for very cheap, worth a try. Hardest bit would be running the wiring through to the doors, standard W116 central locking uses vacuum not electrics so the only wires you will find are the electric window wiring if yours has electric windows....
1975 280S - Australian delivered

polymathman

Are you sure it didn't come with the vacuum system? I think it would be easier and cheaper to get that working.
190sl 1957 rusting away
250S 1968 long gone
280SE 1976 got hit, parts
280SE 1979 running fine
C320 4Matic 2005 for wife -Mercedes after MIT

celberg

Back then there were special taxi equipped cars. No central locking among other things. My 1975 350SE has no central locking, column shift, lsd and self-levelling suspension.
350SL 1973
350SE 1975
SL500 1996

rparker

Ok, update, just bought a set of 4. 2 wires, as Nabstud said looks simple enough to hook up to a aftermarket alarm/central locking unit.

Anyway, plan is to mount it on something solid (probably U-clamped onto a brick) and determine if the rifle sound is coming from the solenoid itself or how it integrates into the door of the G-wagon that gives the signature sound. If it is just from the solenoid then would be a very easy install. If not, then will have to get a bit creative. I noticed from another YouTube lock repair video that they are mounted very close to the corners of the door frames, so could be even using the door frame as a "speaker" for sound amplification.

Anyway, yeah, car didn't come with central locking as far as I know. There isn't even a lock on the fuel door. You secure it by using the ignition key to lock the fuel cap. It is the most bare bones W116 I've seen. Even the door cards are flat ala W108/109. Boot space doesn't even have any sound deadening or lining. All you get is a rubber mat. Plus side is even with the Solex, its been reliable.

Cheers,

Ryan

Harv

Just be careful trusting those. As cool as those sound, those locking units like to fail often. Probably just the nature of the beast. I know it might not be an issue since its new.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

rparker

Harv

Quote from: rparker on 29 September 2021, 10:10 PM
Ok Harv thanks for letting me know.

Cheers.

Ryan

Maybe take a measurement to see if those will even fit behind the door. The G door panels are totally vertical and allow these units to mount straight up and down. I think our 116 door panels are curved? And looking at the door pins, I don't think they'll fit in the 116 door pin hole.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

rparker

Hahah, too late...bought it already. Anyway I don't have the dimension of the unit until it comes, so since its going to be a custom job am already ready to do some backyard engineering for it to fit. Angled, or even vertically with a 90 degree torque transmission arm from solenoid to the lock pull to translate horizontal torque to vertical. A good little project or sorts.

But once again, thanks for further information, now I know its just a straight up and down no complex levers that can contribute to the sound. Narrows things down a bit. Do let me know if you think of any other asynchronies or important pointers that o think off.

Cheers.

Ryan

rparker

Wired up the G-wagon solenoid just for a small trial today, 9V battery only as I was missing another set of croc clamps. I gotta say, the unit is quite light and doesn't feel very sturdy but whatever they use inside hits HARD. No wander they go bad quite often. Here is a video of me just wiring it up this morning.

ekipe

Quote from: ptashek on 27 September 2021, 03:51 PM
Do people really care about what the central locking sounds like? I'd just install whatever aftermarket kit fits and be done with it.

Totally! I sold my CLS 500 because I hated the sound of its locking, sounded cheap for such a good car. I wish they still used the vacuum system.

mrkozzy

I had electric door locks installed 10 years ago.
No issues yet altho Im thinking I should probably  change the battery in the remote.  Its still the original.
The sound the locks make is no different to the sound in my wifes B200. Its different to the vacuum obviously,  but to put it simply...... it works.  Best thing I did.  Got tired of chasing vacuum leaks in the original.
The downside is,  the locks only extend to the 4 doors.  The trunk and petrol filler flap are not connected to the system.
Its a Small price to pay.
MrKozzy

rumb

[/quote]

Totally! I sold my CLS 500 because I hated the sound of its locking, sounded cheap for such a good car. I wish they still used the vacuum system.
[/quote]

Our CLS550 sounds like a bank vault being locked. I like it.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio