News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

carby fuel filter

Started by Yesmar, 09 August 2010, 01:00 PM

Yesmar

hello all. my fuel filter on my carburetor seems to be leaking fuel when the car is on. it seems to be leaking out of the threads but i cant be sure. im afraid to turn my car on because there is like an electrical connection right under it. does anyone have any ideas of what i should do first? or where to start. id like to replace it but before i do is there anyway i can be sure that this is the problem

thanks guy's

- Ramsey

oscar

So do you reckon the leak is from the big nut on the Solex or the smaller on the copper tube from fuel damper?

I had a leak from the the fuel damper side and tightened that small nut up.  There's a copper collet/ring/bushing/grommet thing (really don't know what they're called) on the fuel line and it seals by compression.  My guess is that it's scored, marked, damaged and tightening the nut might not stop the leak entirely.  If tightening doesn't work, loosen the nut again to expose the copper, wrap it with a small amount of plumbers tape as a stop gap measure.  Otherwise, measure the diameter of the line with a set of callipers and go to an auto, engineering or plumbers supply shop.  You can buy these things but I can't remember what they're proper name is.  I'd just make sure that you can buy one that fits before trying to wrestle the old one off.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Yesmar

thanks oscar
yeah its the one with the copper nut. i will try to tighten it tomorrow, ill get get back with results  8)
- Ramsey

koan

They are referred  to as olives but I doubt that's the proper name

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

Way to go koan ;) I just searched "olive plumbing" and the wikipedia link confirms.  Sometimes referred to as olives, aka ferrule or compression ring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_fitting
I went into an auto shop ages ago to get a tiny approx 5mm one for a vacuum gauge 13B lent me and didn't know how to describe it.  Had to take it along with me and they rummaged through individual containers of loose ones of all sizes to find the right size. 

Yesmar

thanks guys for the info, ive been working all the time since i last posted this but i have the next 2 nights off i will try to tinker with it and report with results. i do have a few pictures of what im talking about at home, but you guys seem to already know :)

wish me luck...
- Ramsey

Yesmar

:D ;D
tightening it worked just fine no need for plumbers tape ect!  haha
- Ramsey

oscar

Yesmar

just to confirm this is the part that we are talking about ?\

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mercedes_Benz-1975-280S-116.020-Base-Sedan-L6_2.8L/Engine/Fuel/ES1958652/

thanks, i havent noticed it leaking anymore but i also havent messed around with the 116 in a while.

while you guys down under are enjoying your summer we are getting hit with snow twice a week  :-\   roads are salty and covered in gravel
- Ramsey

oscar

Nah, not that part.  That part doesn't look familiar at all and besides, since it's described as a pump check valve I'd presume it's meant to be on or near the fuel pump which I can't see attached to mine at all.

I searched some old photos so ignore the labels except the fuel supply one in the first photo.  The tip of the red arrow points at the "small nut" (diameter wise) where fuel would leak.  The "large nut" in the second photo is visible and shows what to expect when you remove it and the carb's filter from the snout where the fuel supply goes into the carb.  The large nut is hollow unlike that check valve in the listing you posted.  Undoing the small nut will reveal the ferrule/olive/compression fitting that forms the seal between the small nut and the left side of the large nut (in second photo).  If anything, that's all that you would need to replace if you have a leak there.  The third photo shows the fitting one might need.  No special part, just rock up to an auto or engineering/hydraulic place with the fuel damper so they can measure the exit pipe from the damper and slide a fitting on.

PS, don't think I could cope with the snow.  If I was there the novelty would wear off soon and I'd be moving to a southern state, or emigrate to Aus ;D

Yesmar

thank you oscar once again! march and april im going to give my 116 some lovin with plans to daily drive it this summer.  8) Ill make a thread of my plans and progress when i start. 

you the snow is fun the first couple storms, now its just dirty wet slush that freeze and then more snow on top of it.
- Ramsey

npk

Some call the copper ring/bush "ferrule".

It's supposed to deform and provide positive sealing.

In most cases, teflon(plumber) tape is not needed but in some severe cases where the ferrule no longer seal very well, 1-2 rounds of teflon tape may help.

NPK