News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Caramel Milkshake anyone?

Started by 116Benz, 23 June 2007, 06:28 AM

116Benz

HMMMM...finally got a chance this weekend to sus out the bargain buy...doesnt burn oil, there is a small amount of tinworm in the boot cavity near the wheelarch on the drivers side and in the fuel filler cavity. IF it was that simple..LOL...I checked the oil on account that its got a lumpy idle thinking the oil was perhaps a tad old and needing replacing...I have never seen a merc run on what looks like a caramel milkshake...checking the water...there was skint water in the radiator and what looks like a pretty severe leak as well...I think put 2 and 2 together and I think my bargain is looking a bit less bargain...BTW..found a novel way of removing the old bonnet mat...the household hoover does a brilliant job of disposing the tatty leftovers. SO...shopping for a radiator and possibly an engine or a head...I wonder what a newer w126 engine would be like...and no, I dont really want to chev or ford the engine...its a great idea and brillaint in it simplistic execution...but no, this little black duck likes the engine numbers in this car to start 110.....

torana68

sounds bad but has it been sitting for a long time or short start ups and not driven? its hard to tell from here..... maybe flush it and put in some Kmart oil and see how you go  before you have the engine ripped out. See if you can have a head gasket check done
Roger

116Benz

Thats what im thinking...its been sitting, its been a tad neglected, I have seen the same symptoms on another car...I do know for sure the radiator need replacing though.

500eguy

I agree, a oil change would'nt hurt, although it sounds like its time to put it a 126 560 motor in it:)

s class

116 benz - this was a 280 if Irecall correctly?

The M110 is actually not that expensive in parts.  I agree with th others :

a) fix the water leak
b) oil and filter change - a flush first would be a good idea
c) compression test, leak-down test and coolant litmus test.

then, if its as bad as it seems :

d) take the head off.  If bore wear is acceptable, and the head is not warped, it won't cost much to fix it. 

Just bear in mind that if the engine has overheated badly (as may be the case with a badly leaking radiator), the rings will probably have lost their tension, and will need replacing even if they look OK.  New rings means honing of course, or reboring and new pistons if the wear is bad. 

But take heart when my engine was done up, I required a max overbore, new pistons, rings, bearingss, resize of bigends, crank polish, head overall, skim head and deck, new chain, new distributor drive - and all that was uner US$2,000. 

It was money well spent - I've had 200 000km of very pleasurable driving since, and its still good to go with almost zero oil comsumption.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

John Hubertz

Don't forget to try some magic seal goop.  Magic seal goop sometimes works.  If it is not a high-pressure leak across the head gasket it can work wonders.  Put some in both the oil and the antifreeze - they are different products...  my experience is that the powdered (aluminum?) antifreeze leak stop is phenomenal sometimes.

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

116Benz

Yeah I'm going to try the magic seal goop 1st, failing that, a rebuild. I've got holidays up my sleeve soon so I think I have an idea what and where im going to be, not that I mind...theres 1 week car stuff...1 week driving...