News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Car restore

Started by mistick, 10 June 2018, 08:26 PM

mistick

hi Guys m quite a novice in mechanic but really a fan though, am restoring a W116 1979 Benz SE as my first car and i was told that my engine is to be changed. Currently using a 5 cylinder straight engine want to go for a v6 to get more power. any advice on what to look for? see attached the beauty really appreciate

floyd111

:o.......... ;D!

But, welcome anyways..
How come there's a five cylinder in there? There's supposed to be a 6-in-line in a W116..or a V8
Would be a lot easier to fit something that was made for that car. A 280/6 from W123 or W116 would be easier to fit,  I would expect. Not sure about the power, though. Depends on what your 5cyl is giving you.
If you want power, the 450/8 W116 engine would be the choice, 1976-up, if not, the 350/8, but those you don't see that much, especially not in Ghana, one would expect.
W123 will  be everywhere, and thus there should be a 280/6 around somewhere, buried between the millions of 200/220/240 and 250's

mistick

they changed the original engine i guess

floyd111

what's the engine? brand, type, cubic?

mistick

the Engine is a Straight 5 inline cylinder Diesel *identical to the attached picture*, brand Mercedes Benz, as for the Cubic capacity (just Google it lol) i have no idea.

Harv

So that is interesting. You'd think the car would be a 300SD based on the OM617, but it has Euro bumpers and red interior.

Mistick, can you post more photos of the interior and the rest of the car?
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

Squiggle Dog

I wonder if it is a turbocharged engine. If so, it should have plenty of power, so I'd try to put in a similar engine, or upgrade to a turbocharged 5 cylinder if it's not already. I don't know what non-Mercedes engines would be easy to fit. I would like to see more pictures as it seems to be an interesting car.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

floyd111

Ah, you never said it was a diesel.. ;D. If you haven't a turbo, that would be the way to go. Get one!
Guys, why can't it simply be a 300SD with swapped head lights?
Interior? Is there such a thing as a 300SD interior?

Harv

Quote from: floyd111 on 11 June 2018, 06:39 PM
Interior? Is there such a thing as a 300SD interior?

I've yet to see a SD with red interior. Usually those were reserved for 450s.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

karmann_20v

Unless the OP ended up with a North American car (US/Canada), his car was converted to diesel power. Would be interesting to know where was his car sold new and what were the specs.

mistick

hi brother morning from my side of the world, please my engine bay doesnt have all the others accessories. only the block that i circled and some wires. see below
the interior has been touched, but this red is too Flamboyant to my likng so i set to change it but see below more pictures tnx guys.

mistick

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 11 June 2018, 06:01 PM
I wonder if it is a turbocharged engine. If so, it should have plenty of power, so I'd try to put in a similar engine, or upgrade to a turbocharged 5 cylinder if it's not already. I don't know what non-Mercedes engines would be easy to fit. I would like to see more pictures as it seems to be an interesting car.

sure will get you more pictures of the engine bay tomorrow was too busy at work today, @Floyd111 please 280/6 and 450/8 refer to the model and cylinder right? tnx

mistick

so my project is to give her a retro-modern look by removing the moldings on the sides of the car like the w123 Benz and make her up with this Camaro SS' paint below, and an inside like the w116 450/8. brotherhood any suggestions?

floyd111

You hear those strange sounds, Mistick? Those are the sounds of shattered hopes and expectations among the more devoted W116 forum members, in response to that MB/Camaro photo. ;).
You said the interior was too flamboyant, so the camaro-rebuilt is eeh.. more conservative?
BTW, there are very good vinyl-sprays for sale these days., should be easier to spray the interior pieces, rather then try to find and buy all of them in the chosen color somewhere

I am kinda guessing it isn't easy to get parts for W116 in Ghana, let alone affordable chrome and interior pieces. In that way, removing much of the exterior chrome avoids having to replace stuff. You still would need bumpers of some sort, I would expect. Those are the costliest parts. Still an issue.
I would re-think the Camaro-rebuilt, maybe consider some other angle?

I would be very interested in seeing the workshop where all the chopping is supposed to happen, old projects, other cars that were done there, and the quality they can achieve customizing cars. If the boss is any good, I may kidnap him to Taiwan after you're done with him. I need a mechanic!

The engines I speak of are the W123 280E 2800CC-6 cyl/line, the W123 2500CC 6cyl/line, the W116 2800CC 6cyl/line, or one of the larger V8 engines out of the W116, the 3500CC V8 or the 4500CC V8. You presently seem to have the W116 5cyl/3000CC diesel, but I can't properly judge that one.

If you really want to be king of Ghana, you could import a 6900CC V8 from the W116 450SEL 6.9, have that built in. You gotta sort the best way to ship such a massive engine block, but they are pretty available in a lot of countries. All of those engines I mentioned are a straight forward fit into your car. Around 240 HP, but who knows what you can squeeze out of that block with a turbo or superchargers, a few Webers and such. 400HP? 500? Fuel better be cheap where you live, or you won't make it to the other side of town.
I got a 6.9 engine standing at a mate's house, that will never see the tarmac again. I am sure there's more of them around to compare..

mistick

i think a w116 2800cc 6cyl/line will be a better option. fuel is not that cheap here. but m really intersted about the turbo or superchargers u mentioned, how does it work? i guess it is an external component to fix, is it easy to find? does it need expert hands to match it to the engine?
A 300-400 hp wont be bad at all !!
So i want to focus my attention on two main areas: Engine and interior because i think those are the most important things in having a car. the rest (spray, sound system ...) come in second position.

The Camaro i put in there was just to give an idea of the paint job in would like for the car. Tnx for the tips on the Bumpers and Chrome

The Shop i sent it to never had this kinda of project before so am guiding them throughout especially for the interior coz i was told that you cant spray the seat that the reason why i took the interior in the last picture, but my dashboard and central console will need a complete make up.

Am really excited about this project since am dreaming of collecting more Classic cars for restore and maybe open a garage. But i keep your first sentence in mind to keep my feet on the ground.