News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Car restore

Started by mistick, 10 June 2018, 08:26 PM

ptashek

I'm not sure I'd paint any car matt-black so damn close to the equator. It just screams "foundry furnace" in my head :)
But, it's your project mistick, and your vision. It'll take a long time and most likely lot's of money to get it done - patience and perseverance are key here.

The only advice I would give is this:

- Start with the mechanical side first. Brakes, steering, suspension - that's the order I would follow. Make these work 100%.

- Personally, I would also stick with that inline-5 diesel you have there. It'll take a month from 0 to 100km/h, but well cared for it'll go forever, and is likely to require less maintenance than the petrol M110 2.8 litre. It seems diesel are the most popular engine version across large parts of North Africa, so it might be easier to source parts locally than for a petrol model?

- The W116 looks gorgeous with all that gleaming bumper chrome around, but it is an extremely costly process to get worn out chrome back to its prime. Restoring the ten-piece bumper set costs nearly 4000EUR in Europe - that's stripping, copper plating multiple times with polishing in-between layers, then nickel plating and finally chroming. There's very few places than can do it, let alone do it properly. It gets even more depressing when it comes to the bright anodised aluminium trim. I can see why you'd want to de-chrome / de-trim.

You didn't say which part of Ghana the car came from, but if it was the North I suspect rust is not something you need to be worried much about?
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

>>what he said. Solid advice there.

Squiggle Dog

I don't think the W116 was offered with a red interior after 1977 (correct me if I'm wrong), and the 300SD was only made from 1978-1980, so that's why the red interior would be a "red" flag that it's not a 300SD, though I have seen a 300SD retrofitted with a red interior, manual climate control, Euro lights, and Euro bumpers.

You wouldn't want to add a turbocharger to a naturally aspirated diesel engine as they aren't built as tough as a turbo engine--you'd be better off replacing the whole engine with a turbo engine--but be warned that the upper oil pan from a W123 or W126 won't fit into a W116, so you'll have to use your old upper oil pan if possible.

I have a 280SE engine in my parts car, but I haven't had it running and it may be too expensive to ship it to you.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

mistick

Quote from: mistick on 12 June 2018, 11:09 PM
i think a w116 2800cc 6cyl/line will be a better option. fuel is not that cheap here. but m really intersted about the turbo or superchargers u mentioned, how does it work? i guess it is an external component to fix, is it easy to find? does it need expert hands to match it to the engine?
A 300-400 hp wont be bad at all !!
So i want to focus my attention on two main areas: Engine and interior because i think those are the most important things in having a car. the rest (spray, sound system ...) come in second position.

The Camaro i put in there was just to give an idea of the paint job in would like for the car. Tnx for the tips on the Bumpers and Chrome

The Shop i sent it to never had this kinda of project before so am guiding them throughout especially for the interior coz i was told that you cant spray the seat that the reason why i took the interior in the last picture, but my dashboard and central console will need a complete make up.

Am really excited about this project since am dreaming of collecting more Classic cars for restore and maybe open a garage. But i keep your first sentence in mind to keep my feet on the ground.

hi brotherhood hope you're doing great, please below the engine, the engine seat and the rest.... can an overhauling help? read a bit about it and i was wondering, need experienced advice

floyd111

Step 1 is to ensure we know what exact engine is there. Find a number somewhere that can tell all.
The way to find out is to compare the original listed HP/torque of the 300SD engine specs with test results of your present engine. Is there a facility near you where they can test engine power? Only then can you do a comparison, find out how many horses are missing from your engine., and whether an overhaul is worth your while. It's always  better to have an overhauled engine, for sound, reliability, oil leaks, etc. But whether you can gain essential  horsepower, is the question

Squiggle Dog

Wow, someone installed a naturally aspirated 5 cylinder OM617 diesel engine! Very creative, but it's not the first time I've seen this done. The good news is that since it already has a 5 cylinder diesel in there, upgrading to a 5 cylinder turbo diesel engine would be easy. Otherwise you could put in a V8 gas engine, but that would be a lot more work. If you want a V8 engine, I think I'd recommend just putting in something that's easy to get parts for, like a Chevrolet 350.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

mistick

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 18 June 2018, 11:38 PM
Wow, someone installed a naturally aspirated 5 cylinder OM617 diesel engine! Very creative, but it's not the first time I've seen this done. The good news is that since it already has a 5 cylinder diesel in there, upgrading to a 5 cylinder turbo diesel engine would be easy. Otherwise you could put in a V8 gas engine,

I like ur ideas bro, but hw did u know that its an aspirated 5 cylinder? hw do we go about the upgrade of the turbo, can u guide me? (u can use the pics share to show me) the mechanic told me that a new engine will cost me around 1500$, so if i can overhaul it and add a turbo for less than that why not !! am up for it.

Squiggle Dog

Since there is no turbo on the engine, it means it is naturally aspirated. You shouldn't bolt a turbo onto that engine because it's not designed for it--you would need to replace the entire engine with one that already has a turbocharger. The turbocharged 5 cylinders were built tougher to handle the extra power and heat.

mistick

ok copy that, but can an overhauling help? what do u advice?

floyd111

You can't tell about the use of the overhaul, vs. HP's if you do not have original engine- and present HP data.
Take the advice you heard. Find a 5cyl diesel that already has a turbo, since it was designed to handle the turbo.
If money isn't the biggest issue, import a 300SD W116 engine somewhere in the USA.
Personally, I think it would be best to not go there at all, unless you are really set to start spending cash.
Your car will not be reliable on a daily basis in this condition. After the engine is done, you will  have to spend a lot more, count on it. A car like this in Ghana, you're looking at 35 years of neglect, DIY repairs and buckets of non original parts.
It's bad in Taiwan, in that department, it'll be much worse in Ghana, without a doubt.
I would suggest you walk away, and start with a car that has a better past, and more of a future.
If you insist, bite the bullet, but you go gotta think about the path you are choosing. The money spent on this W116 will not be reflected in the future value of the car. There are no profits to be expected. Same issue for almost all of us in the asylum.
You will spend a lot, and maybe succeed to have all repairs done in the end.-in Ghana. But, at what cost, what effort, with what benefit?
My true opinion is that this is all a really bad idea, and I am the last one to walk away from a bad idea. Ask anyone here.
You are not even a mechanic, and therefore you will be depending on everyone else to do the work, and pay what they ask -On a car that nobody really knows very well, with no local W116 parts to choose from.
I think you'd have to decide on how much you are willing to spend on this project, and let us have that number. Maybe then you will have a more realistic idea of what you're getting into.

oversize

Yep what he said....  I'd find a local W124 turbo diesel (if possible) and get someone to swap over the whole driveline.  Otherwise be prepared for a money-pit from which you are unlikely to recover!
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

mistick

Quote from: floyd111 on 20 June 2018, 12:36 AM
You can't tell about the use of the overhaul, vs. HP's if you do not have original engine- and present HP data.
Take the advice you heard. Find a 5cyl diesel that already has a turbo, since it was designed to handle the turbo.
If money isn't the biggest issue, import a 300SD W116 engine somewhere in the USA.
Personally, I think it would be best to not go there at all, unless you are really set to start spending cash.
Your car will not be reliable on a daily basis in this condition. After the engine is done, you will  have to spend a lot more, count on it. A car like this in Ghana, you're looking at 35 years of neglect, DIY repairs and buckets of non original parts.
It's bad in Taiwan, in that department, it'll be much worse in Ghana, without a doubt.
I would suggest you walk away, and start with a car that has a better past, and more of a future.
If you insist, bite the bullet, but you go gotta think about the path you are choosing. The money spent on this W116 will not be reflected in the future value of the car. There are no profits to be expected. Same issue for almost all of us in the asylum.
You will spend a lot, and maybe succeed to have all repairs done in the end.-in Ghana. But, at what cost, what effort, with what benefit?
My true opinion is that this is all a really bad idea, and I am the last one to walk away from a bad idea. Ask anyone here.
You are not even a mechanic, and therefore you will be depending on everyone else to do the work, and pay what they ask -On a car that nobody really knows very well, with no local W116 parts to choose from.
I think you'd have to decide on how much you are willing to spend on this project, and let us have that number. Maybe then you will have a more realistic idea of what you're getting into.

tnx bro money is the issue coz i have a budget of 1500USD to finish it

floyd111

Not in 1500 years.. Sorry bro, but that doesn't even cover the engine fees.

s class

I'm not familiar with the diesel engines, but here in South Africa, a decent high class engine overhaul with no short cuts costs about ZAR90000 (US$6900) on a 6 cylinder M110, and about ZAR130000 (US$ 10000) for a 350 or 450 V8. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

mistick

Roger that guys, getting out of my bubble. really appreciate