News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Calling Carl Jones - 280SE forever

Started by Denis, 22 September 2006, 12:04 PM

Denis

Hello fellows  8)

OK, Carl Jones, you win  :P

I was looking at my non-starting 1983 dunkelblau 280SE with bad paint (cracked) but excellent chassis and 227 000 km and I simply CANNOT  scrap it...

Carl, you certainly know more than me about the M110 idiosyncrasies so can you help me get it started ?
private emails will do too  ;D

Here is the deal : help me the the car started and I will unconditionally join your "M110 fuel miser research" club ! For one thing, I have a Euro and we can compare notes.

As to the W126 vs W116 issue, that is all sorted out for me : the W116 has more class but the W126 is an improvement on some levels not the least being quietness and those neat illuminated vanity mirrors under both sun visors of my 280SE  ::)

Mind you, I would miss the V8 tone of my 350SE in a W126. Variety is the spice of life, and I think that I like both cars, and frankly I also like the W109 that drove me to the poorhouse a few years ago (a 6.3 ::)) - look at the woodwork in a W109 and you KNOW that "they don't make them like that anymore" since 1972.

So first question then : is a 1983 W126 with M110 different at all from a 1980 W116 with M110 ? IOW, is the K-jet the same ? Mine is very simple with no electronics, no lambda and only a vacuum thing in the line going to the warm-up regulator.

Best regards to all

Denis

Paris, France

carl888

Hi Denis,

Just been away for two weeks, now I'm back so sorry for the late reply.  How about I come over to France to help you out with it?  Which part of Paris are you in? 

The only sgnificant change that I can tell to the M110 was in 1976 with the change to K Jetronic from D-Jetronic.  There were some minor changes for the W126, bigger exhaust manifolds and I think some revisions to the heads but that's about it.

I really don't think it matters which one you have, I'd be happy with a W109, 116 or 126, but it has to be a GOOD one!

My dad sold his W220 S320.....that car was JUNK I'm sorry to say.  It was very very plasticky inside and the build quality was poor.  The rest of the car made the poor quality interior and materials inexcuseable.  The beautiful cast allow suspension carriers and 4 pot differential bore front calipers suggest they can do it but really, it was just made to a price.  I think the 126 was one of the last proper built ones :)

BTW, I've just completed my urban fuel consumtion check...would you like to have a guess what it came to after some fiddling?

Regards,

Carl.

s class

During the production lifespan of the M110 there were at least two if not three variations of bearing shells.  Early ones were only slotted on the top shell, later ones top and bottom. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL