News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

CA 80 280SE, What are the proper vacuum lines

Started by dnaspazz, 05 January 2020, 11:38 AM

dnaspazz

All,
I have been tearing my hair out trying to find the final, complete resource to make sure I have the right vacuum line set up for this 1980 280se California car. What I know for sure
1) I have the car tag with "California emissions" which lays out vacuums line to wur, distributor, egr, thermoswitches, and charcoal container. I dont know if  this is the complete vacuum set up for  the reasons below. Can the vacuum line set up be this simple, or are there other lines that are not shown (see below)
2) The wur that on the car is not the proper original one, and  it is being replaced with a rebuilt original model (067). The CA tag calls for a  hose to the intake (which I have) and a hose to a four way which is also pulled by the intake. It is unclear to me if there should also be a vacuum line on the front of the WUR, since the manual call that a full load enrichment line.
3) I ordered new hoses from Classic center. We ordered by VIN number. The new 2 contour hoses coming off of the AAV have new vacuum line connections that the hoses I pulled off do not have!  I dont know if the old hoses were original and CA specific, or if they were put on there by someone just getting rid of  vacuum connections. The service manual (pic 3) shows one of the contour hoses with a Y connector going to the WUR and the damper but calls it a leak line. I had a leak line going from the damper to the air filter breather hose so this doesnt make sense for my car.

I am suspecting that the emissions tag is complete, and there shouldnt be any vacuum lines on the AAV contour hoses, but 've run through all of stuff I can find to sort this out. Any insight is appreciated. I have put in the pictures of the car tag, part manual, and service manual.

he have gone through the manuals, and find information that does not match what was on the car or

rumb

I think the new hoses are multi purpose. Look in the vac ports and you will see they are not open. You have to poke a hole to use them iir.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

Best to snap pics of the connections you need help with.  The WUR has multiple options for connection based on the model and if you have full load enrichment and/or altitude compensation.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber