News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Buying Brakes - Part Number Confusion

Started by carzilike, 05 August 2021, 10:07 PM

hamidagha

They come as a set for each wheel, inner, outer and a retainer.

UTn_boy

Unless the rear wheel bearings are making noises or have a lot of play in them, then leave them alone.  Changing the rear wheel bearings requires a somewhat expensive socket (+/- $200), and a working knowledge of how to set the preload when retightening.  It's not a job for a novice or a mechanic that has never done them before. 

Front wheel bearings come in a kit, as Hamidagha stated.  One kit will do one side, so two kits are required.  The part number for the front wheel bearing kit is 116-330-00-51.
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

floyd111

I might still reconsider heeding the advice from each commenting member in this thread, and buy some decent parts for just 35% more. It is about your own pleasure and safety, maybe even your passengers, but all this is also very much about the owner that comes AFTER you. He'd not be expecting a second rate brake system because it would look deceivingly good. 

rumb

Rear wheel bearings are a horrible job to do. Leave well enough alone unless you suspect any issues.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

carzilike

Just an update, the front rotors I ordered are solid instead of being vented so I am now stuck with them as these are incorrect... Rockauto displays them as being a correct fit. So does Amazon and Raybestos, the manufacturer. I am trying to fight with rockauto for a refund / partial refund / store credit but they are saying the parts are a fit since the manufacturer lists them as compatible with my year / make / model. Wish I had known to order the front rotors as VENTED... to ship them back to the US, it'll cost me about $100 and they came from 2 different warehouses so they want me to ship them both back to their separate locations.. just a warning - rockauto is shit to deal with when it comes to returns. They do not care if the part doesn't fit or is incompatible. As long as the manufacturer lists it as being compatible, its not their problem and they'll ignore your emails and close your return request - I opened a dispute with PayPal... lets see. I now have to order yet another set of parts and I guess I'll just pay up and get the zimmermans and splurge the extra $30... This whole brake job is going to end up costing me more than it should but I did learn a lesson though