News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

brake control / guide rod mount part number

Started by stillmatic, 22 November 2018, 10:41 AM

stillmatic

Can anyone help me with a part number for lower support/guide rod mount? I sometimes have a clunking noise when braking and the mount area is rusty so I think it needs replacement. I believe it's also called Brake Control Rod Ball Joint Bushing.

Also, a side question. Are left / right tie rods the same size/length? I can see two thread length options, 17 and 19mm.
Michael

1978 280SE Euro Astral Silver/Blue MB Tex
1970 250C W114

UTn_boy

Michael, the W116 does not have brake support/guide rod mounts.  Only W126 and W123 have those.  (newer models i'm unsure of).  If you're getting noises when braking, then you have bad upper or lower ball joints, bad upper or lower inner control arm bushings, or bad cross bar bushings.  You may even have bad/loose/worn wheel bearings. Which area are you specifically referring to?   

Regarding your tie rod ends...unless you have a 6.9 all tie rods and tie rod ends are the same.  Though, there were two different tie rods used.  126-330-05-03 and
126-330-06-03.  Both will work on non 6.9 cars, but each had the different tie rod ends.  Unfortunately, the parts catalog doesn't differentiate between the two past part numbers.  However, I'd imagine that with there being only 2mm difference between the two that either would fit just fine regardless of which version of tie rod you have.  Incidentally, bad/worn tie rods can also cause noises when braking. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

daantjie

Could also be worn ball joints.  They sit in the bottom of the steering knuckle and the lower control arm connects to it on both sides.  You can visually inspect the boots, usually if they are old the boot will be toast and the grease long gone.  Replacing them can be a bit of a prick of a job and best left to a competent shop if you lack the tools/skill to do this.  I would say an intermediate DIY job, but I find most suspension work brutal to be honest, lots of brute force and colorful language involved, at least for me ;)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

stillmatic

@UTn_boy thanks for the clarification! My tie rods certainly need replacing, along with the control arm bushings, that could be the source of the noise when I press on the brake pedal, it only happens now and again for now but I wanted to make sure I don't leave anything out. Must have been confused by some of the info on the net mentioning guide rod mounts. I just wanted to make sure I replace as many consumables as possible since I'm gonna leave this one for the shop.

@Daniel, this is one thing I won't do myself because I lack the space and tools and probably the patience! Unfortunately, finding a competent shop is a bit of a gamble where I live.
Michael

1978 280SE Euro Astral Silver/Blue MB Tex
1970 250C W114