News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Brake bedal bracket

Started by Randys01, 12 July 2020, 09:20 PM

Randys01

This relate to a RHD 6.9.
Whilst attempting to resolve a mushy brake pedal I noted the brake servo booster  was loose on the firewall.. A crawl under the dash and retighten the bolts that hold the pedal bracket to the firewall with thru bolts to the booster only went to far. what a pig of a job.
But..you could still wiggle the booster.? further delving revealed the pedal bracket had come loose for the crappy bracket mount under the front edge of the dashboard. Now any work in under near that dash is a nightmare but this episode is up there with the best.

After being upside down under the dash with my my feet thru the sunroof I concluded the bracket is stabilised to the dash by means of a clamp? Whaaat?
So it seems one has to penetrate that region coming in from the font of the dash. So attempted to remove the speaker grille. Not on your life does that crummy thing want to come out. Remove Indicator stalk to allow grille to swing past to clear. Remove the speaker. ..and hidden behind is this naff clamp arrangement..........
I packed it in at this point.....I really need to de solder the little speaker to get clearer access thru the 3 inch hole.
Will update if I have the courage...

TJ 450

That really doesn't sound right, the whole assembly should be mounted firmly in place. Maybe the dash end came loose when the booster was last removed (assuming it was).

I've only ever looked at this region with the dash removed but would think it should be accessible with the instrument cluster removed. From memory there was some kind of clamp where it mounts at the dash end.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Randys01

Yes Tim...I reckon it came adrift unknowingly some time ago when booster was removed. .and yes...I think access thru the instrument binnacle is the next step............and I hate that job as 40 old brittle plastic arcs up!

Randys01

OK....got it sorted. The brake pedal /booster bracket  is fixed to the dash by 2 self tapper bolts holding a clamp over a  leg of the bracket. Pretty ordinary. I am surpised. Whether this is a leagacy of being a factory rhd variant is unknown......
Being a lithe 20 year old gymnast with size 4 hands  ::) I was able to access and secure via the hole created by the removal of the front mounted radio speakers. Yes ..it would be a lot easier removing the instrument binnacle but I just did not want to go there.