News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Better brakes anyone?

Started by craigb, 30 August 2009, 10:50 PM

craigb

You will have picked up from other posts that I am about to follow Ian and put QFM K750 pads on my W126 500SEC. This is the same DB143 size pad as in my W116 and yours. Apparently they haven't made any of these before, only the comp 3 that Ian and Cam use. The comp 3 are great track pads but it is the cold performance that concerned me for street use.  Ian has run the K750 now in his 190 on the street and track and likes them. Looking at the data, they have a similar top end to the comp3, but better bottom end. I am sure there is more to it than that but the drawback I heard is that they are harsh on discs. But for my money discs are cheaper than pads and I have been told it is not that bad anyway.
So for anyone who likes to drive their W116 with spirit, particularly the 6.9s, I suspect this is the best brake upgrade you can do for the money – just slot them in. Estimated price is $160 from the Adelaide agent but a firm quote will come back later.
So this message is to let you know that later today the first order for K750 DB143 pads is going to QFM. Apparently I may have to wait up to 2 months, because as they finish a run of other pads and when it is convenient, they will do the one off. If others are interested, now might be the time to contact your local QFM agent and they can do more at the same time. Brake West in Victoria, who Ian uses, is the only other one I know of, but there must be others. I found GSL rallysport in Queensland using google as a distributor also – maybe you can find more! And unfortunately QFM seem to be shocking at answering emails.
1980 280s