News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Best battery for a 6.9

Started by daantjie, 25 August 2018, 09:22 PM

daantjie

Quote from: floyd111 on 27 August 2018, 09:27 AM
just to make sure.. Is it possible that the tray was replaced along the way (they rust a lot) and whomever did that installed a tray from a bigger W116?

Anything is possible with a 41 year old car. I got a larger diesel tray on ebay. Will post pics with hopefully a nice result  ;)

Just checked with the local Benz dealer, 0009823308 is in stock, yay!  $350 CAD later of course but whatever, I'll spoil the ol' girl, always wanted a genuine Benz battery in there, they do look nice I have to say.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

daantjie

Quote from: TJ 450 on 27 August 2018, 02:42 AM
We use DIN codes for Euro batteries here in Aus. Is this group 49 the same as DIN 85L or DIN 88?

Tim

Tim, not sure, this whole battery thing seems to be as complicated and controversial as the old "which oil is best debate", and we all know that folks pretty much come to blows over that one :o  I did a quick search on the google machine, and at least length wise, both the DIN85 and DIN88 come in at about 35-36cm in length or thereabouts, so I really am not sure.  From what I've seen the group 48 battery is about 28cm (just shy of 11 inches), vs the Group 49 which is quite a bit larger at just shy of 14 inches or about 36cm.
Daniel

Squiggle Dog

There are battery trays for the gas model W116s that fit group 49 batteries. There are also battery trays specifically for the diesel W116. It's different in that it has a hole in the center, where a plastic funnel attaches so it will draw in air from the louvers cut in the panel that goes under the headlight. There is also a plastic battery shroud that is supposed to go around the battery on the diesel model.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

daantjie

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 27 August 2018, 01:16 PM
There are battery trays for the gas model W116s that fit group 49 batteries. There are also battery trays specifically for the diesel W116. It's different in that it has a hole in the center, where a plastic funnel attaches so it will draw in air from the louvers cut in the panel that goes under the headlight. There is also a plastic battery shroud that is supposed to go around the battery on the diesel model.

Very "cool" 8)

I guess this is where the funnel attaches:
Daniel

daantjie

This cooling system on the 300sd is pretty genius I have to say but it won't work on the 6.9 as you have the RHS suspension accumulator under the battery tray plus all the hydro plumbing.
Daniel

Peter

I have the larger Mercedes battery in the 280SE and its been going strong for well over 10 years - very happy with the quality  :D

raueda1

My turn to throw fuel on the fire.  I just returned from the local MB dealer where the friendly MB parts guy had a helluva time figuring out the "official" part number because of numerous historical part substitutions and my euro-VIN.  After pulling our hair out, I just asked him for 000 982 33 08 (same as SquiggleDog).   That's the longer Group 49/M9 battery (vs Group 48 size 000 982 31 08), which they had in stock at US$167 (same as SquiggleDog).  That doesn't seem totally out of line for a largish, premium battery.   

Note that I seem to have a super-sized battery tray.  See picture.  The tray still has lots of space, note the spacer clip on the left side by the neg terminal (for some reason I also highlighted the clamping bar, not sure why).   Looks like my tray could accommodate something 2 or 3 cm bigger.  I'm quite certain that the tray and associated hardware are original.

It's funny how satisfying a new battery can be.  The cranking speed was dramatically increased and it now fires instantaneously (vs almost instantaneously).  It's also funny (and baffling) how something so seemingly simple can become so arcane.  Regardless, I'm now confident that I'll get to Lodefest without incident - knock wood!   ::)
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

daantjie

Man, Dave you are stealing my thunder here ;D

Yes the tray I got off ebay also has that little spacer in the tray, so I am confident I will be able to mimic your setup and enjoy that mega - crank 8)
Daniel

Squiggle Dog

$350CAD for a battery?! That is some serious markup, but not surprising. I think that's about what my local dealership quoted the first time around, and then when I went on their website, they listed it for less so I had them honor the lower price.

The battery I had in previously was a genuine Mercedes that had been remanufactured and I got a good seven years out of it with daily use, much of it in Arizona heat. The battery could have been twenty years old, for all I know.

My diesel battery tray has the extra bar which could be removed to accommodate an even larger battery, as well. I think there was a battery larger than group 49, which was offered for tropical climates. It seems, though, that if the largest possible battery was used, the headlight bulb access door would be blocked like it is with the battery shroud in place, and the shroud on the diesel models wouldn't fit over the tropical climate battery.

Raueda1, interesting that your battery has the caps for adding water. It must not be an AGM-type battery. Maybe mine isn't either, though. I'll have to see if the two large plates on mine can be pried off. Mine was made in Spain, so that could be the difference, too.

I noticed that my engine cranked a lot faster with the new battery, and my headlight brightness no longer seems to change with the engine RPM.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

raueda1

Quote from: daantjie on 27 August 2018, 05:50 PM
Man, Dave you are stealing my thunder here ;D

Yes the tray I got off ebay also has that little spacer in the tray, so I am confident I will be able to mimic your setup and enjoy that mega - crank 8)
LOL, I guess it was just meant to be.  Timing with this thread is just coincidence.  Despite setting up a trickle charger I had several totally-dead-no-click incidents last winter.  My radio was wired wrong and draining when car was off.   More recently I started noticing that my cranking has been getting weaker.  Then I had to actually jump the car several times on a road trip last week using one of those portable battery jumper thingamabobs. 

I had also noticed that my old battery had about 2" of empty tray on each end!  the old battery was a fraction the size of what would actually fit the tray.  Also, at the time it wasn't clear what that little spacer clip thing on the left was.  With the 6.9-size jumbo battery it became obvious that it's an end  block to support the battery on all sides.  Maybe to keep it from sliding around if the side clamp comes loose? 

So, here I am again, perched on the shoulders of giants.   ;D 
If the 000 982 33 08 P/N hadn't been posted here I don't know what I would have ended up with. Cheers,
-Dave

raueda1

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 27 August 2018, 06:09 PM>>>>snip<<<<

I noticed that my engine cranked a lot faster with the new battery, and my headlight brightness no longer seems to change with the engine RPM.
Oooo!  Gotta check that out!
-Dave

TJ 450

Very interesting, you learn something new everyday. I didn't know that hole in the tray was for cooling air!

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

daantjie

I must say I am pleasantly surprised by my local Benz dealer.  Rolled in @ 7h30 this morning and was out of there in 5 minutes with a new battery!  They  even took the old battery as a core and gave me a refund for that.

All in was $320 CAD after taxes, not bad at all

Mine looks to be a Varta made in Germany:

Daniel

raueda1

Quote from: daantjie on 28 August 2018, 11:07 AM
I must say I am pleasantly surprised by my local Benz dealer.  Rolled in @ 7h30 this morning and was out of there in 5 minutes with a new battery!  They  even took the old battery as a core and gave me a refund for that.

Score!  Mine's Hecho en Mexico.  But $320 CAD!  :o
-Dave

daantjie

Quote from: raueda1 on 28 August 2018, 01:16 PM
Quote from: daantjie on 28 August 2018, 11:07 AM

Score!  Mine's Hecho en Mexico.  But $320 CAD!  :o

Yup we get gouged for everything up here in Canada, especially in "Beautiful BC".  We have a saying that "BC" stands for "Bring Cash", would be funnier if it was not painfully true :o  i did not even flinch, just handed over the VISA and that was that 8)  and no I am definitely not loaded, we leave that to the "housewife/student with million dollar home" crowd here in Vancouver...  You would not believe how many new car dealerships pop up over here.  I think we have 4 huge Benz dealerships in Vancouver area alone, plus a stand alone Porsche and Ferrari dealership, plus I think Lambo too.  Do the math ::)
Daniel