News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Axle Boots and Cans on a 6.9

Started by PosedgeClk, 16 July 2019, 07:01 PM

PosedgeClk

I have been searching on multiple forums for the past few hours and have yet to find a post that is 6.9-specific.

The axle boots on my 6.9 are cracked and need to be replaced before the car moves anywhere. There is fresh oil leaking out the bottom of the boots, so they probably were just about to go when the car was parked a decade ago. I have seen on other W116es, W123s, and W126es that some people use stretch boots. Since I have deadlines and need to have at least one option in hand, I found some Febi boot kits and ordered them. They come with replacement cans which appear to be two pieces. From what I have read, the old cans have to come off, they are destroyed in the process, and the new ones have to be installed somehow. I am at a loss on how the new cans go on and what tooling is required. Whenever I try to do a Google search, the results for can involve it being a helping verb, not a noun. There is no way to get relevant results out of Google these days.

Here is one of the kits sold by AutohausAZ.
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/1263500237

I have two questions here.
1. How do I install such a boot and can? I have a machine shop and can make a die on the lathe if really necessary.
2. Is there a known product out there where I can stretch the boot for this axle?

Thank you!
1979 450SEL 6.9

rumb

You may just want to send them to https://www.cvjreman.com/

I just had mine rebuilt and now the internals are very tight.

They are very fast rebuilding them. I think it was the next day they called me and said they were ready.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

TJ 450

If you have the correct boots (they are different to the 450SEL), yes you need special tooling.

The other option is to upgrade to late W126 560SEL shafts which have a flange on the inner. These are easily rebuilt.

Regards,
Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

PosedgeClk

For the sake of time, I contacted the aforementioned axle shop and ordered two axles. With the core deposit and shipping, the completely rebuilt axles were just shy of $600 for the pair.

One of my friends who is a senior mechanic at an MB dealership raved about them and said that he has used them before for their smog pumps.

From their site sans the formatting:

How CVJ remanufactures the early "can style" Mercedes Benz CV axles:

We completely disassemble and clean the CV axle and inspect all the components for wear and damage. Any excessively worn parts (anything beyond minor wear) or damaged parts are replaced or repaired.
We measure the shafts for straightness and straighten to half of the industry standard tolerance – 0.010″ TIR instead of .020″ (this insures a vibration free CV axle).
The seal surfaces are polished and threads inspected and chased.
Each component in the joint is matched (for proper tolerance) and each joint is also tested for proper, smooth operation without radial play when assembled.
We use new chrome steel balls.
The sheet metal housing is replaced with a new zinc-chromate plated one which is hydraulically crimped into place (for a leak free joint).
We use a specially formulated CV high temp and extreme pressure moly grease (Mercedes switched from oil to moly grease on the next generation of CV axles).
We use new top quality neoprene boots and gaskets. The boots are clamped with stainless steel band using a pneumatic tool to assure a proper seal.
CVJ NEVER "over sizes" or "re-grinds" the housing and mating race (some rebuilders grind out .020″ or more and use .020″ larger balls). This process grinds through the surface heat treat, weakens the joint and often changes the critical internal geometry.

It sounds like a plus if they are actually measuring runout and know enough to not destroy case hardening.
1979 450SEL 6.9