News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Automatic geaxbox, how to disassemble from the car?

Started by geiz, 14 July 2009, 12:57 AM

jpstuckey

I agree with TJ: that ring most definitely looks like the remains of a destroyed front bearing for the torque convertor that should be pressed into the front pump.

John
John

TJ 450

I'll have a look for my old pump, but I don't think it could be anything else but the bushing. It should be a fairly soft material, but I think it welded itself to your torque converter.

In those pics, I see that your stator shaft is completely stripped of teeth. Just out of interest, what was the driveability like before you removed the trans?

Unfortunately, those teeth will have ended up in the transimission. Judging by the condition of these parts, I would draw the conclusion that your transmission is on its last legs. The metal from that shaft alone is enough to chew out all the needle bearings.

The stator shaft is not very expensive, although if it is the early type, it will need to be pressed in.

You may be able to purchase the bearing bushes from the dealer as they have separate part numbers.

For a good idea of what the rest of the trans is like, you can pull the front shaft off the gear assembly in a forward direction. If the needle bearing and/or the shafts are cactus, then it is almost certainly time for a full rebuild.

There are some pitfalls when rebuilding, although the manual tells you what needs to be done.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

geiz

Quote from: TJ 450 on 28 July 2009, 09:33 PMIn those pics, I see that your stator shaft is completely stripped of teeth. Just out of interest, what was the driveability like before you removed the trans?

Oh my god, I see what you mean now!

Ehh, it was running fine  :o

:-[

TJ 450

The fact that it appeared OK suggests to me that there may be many units still in service that are similarly worn. My 6.9's transmission seemed OK until it was pulled apart.

This is the front shaft I was talking about.

When you pull the shaft off, you'll see a bearing like the one in this picture. If you remove the bearing from the shaft, the surface it runs on should be relatively smooth if not near perfect.

Also, if you look inside the torque converter, are all the teeth intact in there?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

geiz

Yest all the teeth inside the torque converter looks like new. Allmost unreal that the teeth of that shaft are completely disappeard while the teeth of the stator are still undamaged.
It is scary ro put in a new shaft, there must be a reson why the stuff is defective.
Maybe the plate at the rear side of the torque converter is worn?

Does anyone know if an tranny with MB number: 123 270 280 1722 118 02 125602 or 114 270 190 103 4875 will be exchangable with my 722.004 transmission?

TJ 450

The shaft is usually worn to some extent. It's probably caused by lots of stop start driving or full throttle takeoffs. I don't think that the flex plate would be the cause.

The siezed bearing is more of a concern though. A lack of lubrication would do that, it would have to get pretty hot. Maybe there is a blockage somewhere... what about a kinked cooler hose?

Regarding those part numbers, my EPC is offline at the moment. I'll see if I can get it running and have a look.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

geiz

My decision now is to buy another gearbox.
I can get one without torque converter.

The most important question for me now is: how does an normal torque converter shaft looks like. Is there a bearing ring on, or not (the one which was worn, shown on my pictures). Or was this bearing coming out of the gearbox itselve. Does someone maybe have pictures of it?

Tim, if you can check the numbers for me,  that would be great!

Thanks!

TJ 450

That sounds like a good plan.

This is what the torque converter from a 722.3 transmission looks like. The basic appearance and function are the same.

Here's the original pump from my 6.9's transmission. It is the same part on the 722.004. You can see how the bearing is pressed in. This is what the torque converter runs on and the two tongues engage the pinion gear in the pump.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

geiz

Thanks.

The conclusion, I can re-use the toruqe converter and exchange the rest of the transmission ;-)