News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Auto Antenna sticking half way up.

Started by BCDC, 26 August 2021, 05:17 PM

BCDC

Hello to the wise and wonderfull W116 owners, I need some advice please on a sticking rear mounted automatic powered antenna on my 280SE. What is the best way to fix this issue? Remove from boot, clean and lube all moving parts? Anything else to look out for? Thanks in advance.

BCDC
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

rumb

Sometimes it's just a bent/dirty antennae mast.  These are very inexpensive.  Past that, then yes time for a good clean and lube.  The rain water like to run down the mast into the mechanism cause all sorts of grime and rust.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Flogrates

I've been fiddling with mine, to no avail yet. But try as rumb said cleaning the mast, then have a look inside. It's a quite simple well engineered unit.

daantjie

Usually the tensioning wheel at the bottom is rusted to hell due to the drain clogging up.  You will see the drain tube exiting through the trunk well.  This is probably the most overlooked drain spot on these cars so it never gets checked leading to eventual failure of the unit.  Sometimes the wheel is not too rough, so a good cleaning and lube with PB Blaster or such can free it up.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber