News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Attention Oscar - Verdict on the "Koan" Valve lifter

Started by WGB, 10 August 2008, 09:34 AM

WGB

I took a cam cover off my parts M117 - 450 today to try out the new Valve spring compressor.

The design would work if the oiling tubes are removed for it's use but the valves are closer together than on the M-100 motor.

The valve centres seem to be 46.5 mm apart instead of the 53.5 in the M-100 motor and the cam towers are also proportionally closer together so the that the "foot" of the M-100 compressor will not fit between the towers.

To be fair it looks like it only needs a smaller foot to be made and it should work.

Bill

oscar

Ah  Thanks very much WGB. 8)

On Saturday just gone I tried once again to adjust the lifters because last time I did the left bank a fortnight ago I made a meal of it making every tappet clammer away making a hell of a racket whilst the engine is running.  This time though I found a way to use the valve adjustment tool properly and the difference is incredible. I've no idea how my previous adjustment was way out considering the feeler gauges I thought were tight fitting. 

What's this got to do with the valve spring compressor?  Whilst I still have to attempt the right bank, the 7th cylinder's exhaust valve adjustment nut now has 6 rounded surfaces and is impossible to move.  It's now the only noisy lifter on that side and will need replacement.  Next chance I get I'll try to use multigrips on this lifter but failing that, a valve spring compressor followed by stud replacement will be my only option.  I'll use Koan's plans but with a modified foot and will post how I go.  Thanks again. ;)
1973 350SE, my first & fave