News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

ATF leaks driving me insane

Started by daantjie, 11 March 2021, 12:31 PM

daantjie

Hi guys

OK I am really getting choked with trying to resolve ATF leaks, especially at the banjo bolt where the fill tube connects.  Just when I think I have it licked, then a drop appears overnight >:(

Any tips you guys may have?

Cheers
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

adamb

Surely all you need is a good copper washer, no?

In the past I overtightened the bolts holding the transmission sump and warped it. It was cheaper to buy a used transmission than get a replacement sump from MB. No leaks any longer. Well, not from there.  ::)

daantjie

Tried aluminum and copper, no dice.   I'm thinking the fill pipe is slightly cocked so the banjo connection is not 100% square to the pan, so the washers are being overtasked.
Daniel

Alec300SD

Quote from: daantjie on 11 March 2021, 12:31 PM
Hi guys

OK I am really getting choked with trying to resolve ATF leaks, especially at the banjo bolt where the fill tube connects.  Just when I think I have it licked, then a drop appears overnight >:(

Cheers
Remove the bolt securing the upper part of the dipstick tube.
Clean the threads of the hollow bolt well, replace if visibly damaged.
Clean the threads in the pan with the correct size tap.
Replace both crush washers on the banjo bolt, and loosely tighten the hollow bolt.

Then, reinsert the bolt securing the upper part of the dipstick tube.
Gently bend the tube if required, so that the upper bolt glides into the bracket hole without binding.

When everything is aligned, tighten the hollow bolt and the upper bolt.
78 W116 300SD 'Desert Rose' new as of 01/26/2014
79 W116 300SD 'Stormcloud' RIP 04/11/2022

daantjie

Thanks yes I will have to finesse this bugger as there's no way it'll seal tight as is.
Daniel

ptashek

Hi guys

Cheers

Yes, ignore it :)

I have new bolts and copper washers on Goldie, all torqued as Daimler prescribed, and she's still dripping slowly from the fill tube banjo fitting over time.
A few drops leaking out over the course of a year just ain't worth the bother.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

daantjie

Quote from: ptashek on 11 March 2021, 07:54 PM
Hi guys

Cheers

Yes, ignore it :)

I have new bolts and copper washers on Goldie, all torqued as Daimler prescribed, and she's still dripping slowly from the fill tube banjo fitting over time.
A few drops leaking out over the course of a year just ain't worth the bother.

I think you're right here, part of the charm i guess, we all start to leak a bit after all ::)
Daniel

3l33ter

You can use some solid copper wire instead of the crush washers if you suspect that the flat surfaces are no longer flat enough, or not parallel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5LWcTVeWR8
'75 280S
'77 6.9
'82 300TD