News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts for over 20 years!

Main Menu

at long last, my pump is mostly installed

Started by Big_Richard, 18 May 2008, 03:14 AM

Big_Richard

PS, my US cleaner is in perth, its awaiting my collection from the courier company tomorow morning.

First thing i do when i get home tomorow is test it out on the aluminium distributor bearing housing. Ill remember to post before and after pics this time!

I'll also have my rechromed tail peices tomorow too. (waste of money, they cost the same money as brand new from nemoller)

Big_Richard

Getting there, slow and steady.

If anyone says - "ahh, you realise your going to have to take all of that off before you can put the distributor back on" I'm gonna loose it  ::)

TJ 450

Whoa... that's seriously awesome. The thermostat housing looks excellent as well.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

And the award for the shiniest water pump goes to ...

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

s class

Well done, its been a long haul to get there, but worth it from the looks of things.  Nothing beats shiny new bits. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

More progress, but,

The swearing has started now, so its time to tools down. No longer is it a casual saturday afternoon relaxation session so ill do some more tomorow.

Out of interest, my distributor lined up dead centre perfect, I dont know what the condition of my timing chain is in, perhaps its already been changed. OR the chain is so bad that the distributor is now a whole tooth out. I'll know for sure when i pull the cam covers.

oscar

I see you ended up getting that new dual can dizzy no probs.  Don't it look good too 8)

PS. I hope that's gasket sealer on the hydro pump and not knuckle blood.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

Quote from: oscar on 24 May 2008, 04:16 AM
I see you ended up getting that new dual can dizzy no probs.  Don't it look good too 8)

PS. I hope that's gasket sealer on the hydro pump and not knuckle blood.

dont know what that red stuff is on the pump, certainly not my blood ;)

That pump is stuffed which is a shame, it works fine etc, but the suction connection has been cross threaded by the previous owner, and nothing ive tried has ever stopped it leaking and sucking in air occasionaly. I have no choice but to replace it.

regarding the ignition, im realy excited about the first start after all this kanoodling, i threw in one of these today for good measure  ;D Nothing wrong with the old, other than it looking ugly.

s class

PB, you don't need to replace the pump.  The suction side is threaded into the replaceable top cover.  All you need to change is the top cover, and the cheap rubber o-ring under it.  I have spare covers that are going to the tip if they don't find a new owner. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

how much are you after for your most aesthetically pleasing top cover?

easiest way for me to pay is via paypal.

s class

I'm not looking for any price.  Just good will.  Would you like me to first send you a photo of the cover, to see if you are interested?

Big_Richard

Quote from: s class on 25 May 2008, 01:41 AM
I'm not looking for any price.  Just good will.  Would you like me to first send you a photo of the cover, to see if you are interested?

yep, thatll be great,

cheers

Big_Richard

PB's sunday afternoon pulley recipe

take one crusty old water pump pulley,

strip all paint off with a torch

clean back to bare metal with welders brush,

wash, dry,

paint in high temp gloss black,

bake in convection microwave @ 250c for 4 hours. (0% microwave!) Enjoy a house full of noxious fumes,

Result: pure liquid black, imperfection free. i expect the grooves where the belts run wont stay painted for long, they never do.

oscar

Wow 8)

Now I know what the convection function is for.  That's impressive Pat.  What paint -  VHT in an aerosol can?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

not much progress today,

next weekend, in goes the custom radiator and wiring up the auto thermo fan. Should be fun.