News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

As rare as rocking horse poo.

Started by WGB, 01 September 2011, 08:27 AM

WGB

There was a short mention on the M-100 site a couple of weeks ago about a kit of seals for a 6.9 hydraulic strut for sale on e-bay.

I contacted the guy and he described himself as an M-B Tech for the past 30 years and yes he had three kits - he had had five but had used two on the front of his own 6.9 .

So I purchased two of them and they arrived two days ago.

There are six seals for each strut - 2 hard plastic (said to be teflon) and four o-rings.

As requested by Koan here are their individual dimensions but I will measure them more accurately so that they can be reproduced by others if required.

I guess it is an act of faith but hopefully all will fit and I will be able to re-seal both front struts and probably also replace my front levelling valve which has a light oil mist on the surface around it but otherwise functions well.

Bill

koan

Excellent work bill.

One of the teflon rings looks to have a contoured cross section, not a simple round or square section which might be hard to find.

No M-B part number?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

No part numbers - just plain packaging.

I will measure the shaped seal a bit more accurately and post the dimensions when I have some time.

Bill

KenM

This is very interesting Bill, be fascinating to see how you go with these. Should be simple enough to fabricate these with accurate dimensions, teflon billet can be machined by any half useful shop and O rings can be made to order. I would think the dismantling and reassembly of the struts will be the more problematic issue.

TJ 450

Excellent find, Bill.

Having pulled apart a busted one MT had, those Teflon seals, and the O-Rings are exactly what you will find.

The only problem with pulling apart the struts is that of the form of their construction. It requires all sorts of improvising to get those caps to budge, and I don't know that there is any easy way to preserve the original finish (jaw marks from vise, etc.).

It's nothing that a quick paint job won't fix though.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

peterq

There's a hydraulic workshop in Welshpool where they have machined these up for a 560SEL hydro in the past - might be an idea to get them to measure your set for future reference. Sorry, can't remember the name of the place but I think the then owner of the car has a place on Welshpool Rd called "Performance ... " something.

WGB

Here are pictures showing measurements of each seal and guide.

Here is an angled view of the flat teflon guide

And here is an angled view of the shaped teflon guide

Bill

koan

Fantastic WGB.

The O-Rings would be easily available in a suitable material.

Do they seem stiffer to you than similar size/thickness O-rings you've handled before?

There's one teflon/PTFE seal that is right angle cross section, is the other one round or square cross section?

(the teflon seal pictures don't have dimensions and are not displayed with the correct aspect ratio on firefox, they are oval)

Ken
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

Hi Koan,

The o-rings look like normal black o-ring material.

I had problems with photobucket after I edited the photos - I should have loaded new ones.

They all look OK on Microsoft Explorer now after several attempts.

The other teflon one is just a flat round washer of rectangular section - I will add an angled picture of it to the post when Father's Day proceedings are over.

Bill

WGB

Should now be all OK - let me know if there are any problems.

Bill