News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Are Euro W116s Better cars

Started by TNNBENZ, 11 November 2021, 10:58 PM

TNNBENZ

I know the bumbers, & some say the engines r better, but how much more desirable are they............and are they worth more ?
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

I found this unusually quik n the search space universe  :P

Quote from: daantjie on 22 December 2019, 09:21 PM

Honestly there is really not much to choose between the Euro and US spec, although I am sure our friends in Europe will strongly disagree ;)

you called it ;)
There isn't much to choose between, apart from the subjectively ugly bumpers, candle-like headlights, and about 35HP and 40 lb-ft less under the hood

I saw in another post another said 12 or less horsepower.......I talked with an owner how says his Euro is highly sought after. He is asking to much for his headache of a car..........It needs mucho work & repair  :-\   :-\   :-\

Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

goldacre

I have a 450SEL (4.5 litre)  Australian compliance for the year 1979 so pretty much has the non federal Californian low compression smog pumped system  ::) engine.

Took a Euro 450SEL 4.5 for a spin in about same condition as mine and low klm and it had the high compression engine and it was for me noticeably brisk on acceleration which I commented on and that's when Bill said 'that's because it's the European high compression engine...'

Between HC and LC it's only 0.8 (8 vs 8.8  ) but I could feel it. If I ever rebuild engine would go the HC option but getting engine rebuild parts is getting harder when I looked into it  :'(

G
12/1979 450 SEL 148K on clock (museum piece)
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)

w123wrench

I saw a euro 280SE.  This is a pretty rare bird out here in California.  What looked attractive was the manual climate control.

The thought of owning a w116 with a CCU like my 82 240D is intriguing.