News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

any help will help.

Started by Yesmar, 15 May 2009, 05:26 PM

Yesmar

so today is the first day i start my car since my star was broken off. when i start it, its fine. good when warming up. rev it is smooth.  but when i put it in drive i get this "clunk..., clunk..., clunk, clunk, clunkclunkclunkclunk. it speeds up the faster i go. obviously i didnt take it out far turned around the block and parked it. i didnt go over 25mph. well it is deff. coming from front left of the car, sounds like it could be the wheel. all the wheel bolts are tight, and nothing is hanging down or in the way in my wheel well. lift the hood everything seems fine under there, but as it was fine when at idle and reving. only a problem drving.   any ideas?     gas is half way so its not that
Thank you!
- Ramsey

koan

Very hard to tell where noises are coming from sometimes.

If it only happens when moving it has to be wheels, transmission shaft or diff.

Have to try and estimate if the clunk clunk clunk corresponds to a wheel going around once or if its faster than that.

If the noise is at wheel once around rate and you think it's front, jacking up one or the other sides and rotating the wheel should identify the source.

I get the idea the noise is quite loud, wheel bearing noises and things stuck in tyres are usually not very loud. It might be brake disc or caliper related.

Can you get someone to walk along side and listen?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Yesmar

yeah i will do that
thank you
- Ramsey

Yesmar

well funny thing ... i got someone to walk along side my car,   i started it, started to drive ... nothing not clunk nothing. its fine wtf lol   my car is playing tricks on me    .... smooth as glass
- Ramsey

Papalangi

Random guesses would be bits of the star stuck in the tires tread or rocks in the wheel covers if you have them rather than the bundts.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

koan

Quote from: Papalangi on 15 May 2009, 08:27 PM
rocks in the wheel covers

Didn't think of that one.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!