News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Another NLA part - posi discs

Started by rumb, 30 July 2019, 09:00 AM

rumb

Dismayed to find out the double sided clutch discs 129-353-11-62 for 6.9 posi rear diff are now NLA.  I should have bought them 6 months ago.  :-\ Odd that it is a 129 part number leading me to believe that this part is used in more modern cars also.

I wonder if I put two thicker single sided ones in if that will tighten things up enough to get the posi working again? I did not check all the PN's yet, but at least one PN is available.  There are 8 double sided and 2 single sided ones in the assy. These are apparently sintered brass discs.

WFT with MB these days.  :o

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

floyd111

I understand these are all 4.0MM, will all fit, are replacement numbers or versions with or without extra lining.
Your initial number is proper NLA, if you ignore the many official mercedes sites hooked up to the same system, always ready to confuse an NLA number search.
I have not run a search on those other numbers yet. make sure you try different keywords, like "111 111 11 11 Mercedes", "111-111-11-11" and "111111111"

A 1093530162
A 1093532062
A 1293531162
A 1123530662

UTn_boy

Mercedes has been going out of there way to no longer support parts for all of the Classics.  They've been continuously ended parts supplies, ending production of much needed parts, and what is left over they've hiked the price up 700% + to thwart any interest in buying the part(s).  The only support they offer is for the 300SL, 190SL, and Pagodas.  Not even the might 600, 6.3, or 6.9 mean anything.  They're just old cars that Mercedes wants swept under the rug in order to turn interests to the new models.  I've pretty much given up on Mercedes.  I've sold most of my cars, and I bought an old BMW coupe`.  Between the BMW, the Silver Shadow II, and the two W109's and two W116's I've kept I'll be staying plenty busy.  Rolls-Royce, Porsche, BMW......those companies alone (there are more) support for the classics blows Mercedes out of the water.  I have no regrets having defected, yet so much to gain by doing so.  However, I'll not ever stop helping you fellas when I can!  :)     
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: UTn_boy on 02 August 2019, 09:54 PMI've pretty much given up on Mercedes.  I've sold most of my cars, and I bought an old BMW coupe`.  Between the BMW, the Silver Shadow II, and the two W109's and two W116's I've kept I'll be staying plenty busy.  Rolls-Royce, Porsche, BMW......those companies alone (there are more) support for the classics blows Mercedes out of the water.  I have no regrets having defected, yet so much to gain by doing so.

That's sad, but understandable. I think Mercedes made the best cars, but my view of the brand has soured over the years. When I first got into old Mercedes, you could get everything you ever needed directly from Mercedes, and at reasonable prices. They promoted their vintage models and took pride in so many of them still being on the road. They had a free electronic parts catalog and free roadside assistance for ANY Mercedes. Taking one to the dealership for work wasn't unusual.

Now parts are all becoming no longer available or the prices are being jacked up, Tom Hanson is retiring, the dealerships tell you to go away, they charge $75 a year for the electronic parts catalog, and they did away with free roadside assistance. There are people who say that Mercedes is under no obligation to stock parts for vehicles over 10 years old and say there is no money in it for them because Mercedes owners are "cheap". It's just a shame to see how things have changed in the period of about 10 years. I suppose the way of the future is doing Cuban mechanic repairs to keep them on the road as there will likely be no real parts support. It's sad, because now I question whether I'll be able to ever have an old Mercedes that's "nice" and not just rigged up with wire, duct tape, mastic sealant, and parts adapted from other vehicles.

The future is not looking very good for vintage Mercedes. I wish there was anything that interested me available in modern cars. Sometimes I feel like I just want to get a 1940s or 1950s American car instead, because they are extremely simple and there is a lot of support for the restoration process and parts are easy to rebuild or fabricate. But, they lack the safety features and handling that Mercedes pioneered, and didn't really have any diesel options. As time goes by, my dreams seem to fade because it gets more and more difficult to make them a reality. I wish there was more in the future for me to be excited about.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+