News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Alternator question!

Started by 116Benz, 20 July 2007, 05:37 AM

116Benz

Hi boys n girls..

Question, as you know im picking up the 280SEL on Monday, what I wanna do is do a swap of alternators from the blue 280SE to this one and drive the SEL home. I would guess that there wasnt any change in alternators, so this should be a simple swap. Question is-
Theres 2 long bolts top and bottom of the alternator, now from what I've seen, the top one undoes and the alternator can slide back and forward, the bottom one is so it an drop out of the cradle it sits in...at the bottom theres 2 nuts that hold 2 wires at the back..BUT theres a plug like, looking thing at the back...how does this get removed? is it screwed in? does it pop off with a screwdriver?
HELP?

Andrew280SEL

It may be a little stiff, but I'm pretty sure it just pulls off.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

torana68

Hi,
At one time it had a wire clip that retained it, its probably long gone so should just pull off. ()if its there jusp slide the clip to one side)
Roger

116Benz

Quote from: torana68 on 20 July 2007, 08:44 PM

Hi,
At one time it had a wire clip that retained it, its probably long gone so should just pull off. ()if its there jusp slide the clip to one side)
Roger
No, the clip is still there, problem now is that the upper bolt is hard to get to, as the belt is in the way. I'm looking at other options. extracting the car out of this guys back yard is guna be the hard part...