News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Air conditioning drains

Started by raueda1, 26 May 2018, 10:38 AM

raueda1

Quote from: Jed on 22 June 2020, 08:14 PM
Hi dave,
restarting  an old thread...wondering if you ever got back to this problem?

Went for a drive today in 85 degree weather.  Ac blowing cold...also wearing flip flops :)

After about 45 minutes and on two separate occasions..felt liquid on my accelerator foot/toes when I turned right.  It sure felt like water and was cool and odorless.  I assumed it was condensate from the AC not draining, but now I am not so sure after reading your post.  Ill have to take a closer look at the underbody AC drains and check the floor mats and foam pad for saturation.  If it was from the heater core wouldn't it be hot? and I would think the cabin would have that distinctive ethylene glycol smell?

Ill let you know...
Actually I did get back to this problem.  It turned out that it was a heater core leak combined with a failed heater valve.  It wasn't hot cause it was a very slow leak and apparently had time to cool before dripping down on my foot.  It was a very slow drip, but a drip nonetheless.  And it was clearly coolant - nevefr really dried, greasy feel.  My "fix" was to plug the heater lines.  This is ok since I never drive the car in winter anyway.  I just don't have the will to pull the core.  Sounds to me like you problem absolutely is AC condensation.  That isn't a problem I've had so i can't comment.  That said I do recall a couple of threads on the problem.  wish I could be of more help....   :-\
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0