News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Advice Preparing 4 Restart

Started by TNNBENZ, 08 October 2021, 12:34 AM

Randys01

The flap should move freely. Just make sure it is not binding on any of the edges when it comes to its final resting position. If you think the flap is a little tardy, just apply carby cleaner and light oil until it flaps freely. Do not remove the circlips.

TNNBENZ

Thank-you very much Randy  :)  Your advice helps me more than u may realize.  You have helped me decide how to proceed !!! The alloy housing does not have a air plate pin in the stop bracket. My thinking is maybe the plate is designed to move a little slower on a alloy distributor.  Oh, I had already cleaned the plate arm with a very hot hair drier and carb cleaner & WD40 & Marvel Mystery oil. It unfroze the plate but is slightly slower than the other plate on my other housing.  As you suggest I am going to start it soon & finesse it from there. I just wanted to get plate movement right  while I have it apart. This is why I asked, & thankfully YOU responded.  I really appreciate your help......... :)
     I will post more details later because I need to get out & do some mechanicing on my Green Machine  ;)
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

I see a push valve in the system pressure valve was added later in 1979 to help the fuel distributor operation.  Anyone know have one to sell me, donate maybe ?  Also there was a kit available for the compensating valve in an alloy dist. I am worried the piston in this valve maybe stuck. Anyone know how to check the operation of this valve.  It has a spring so I thought to push on it & if it moves I guess it is ok.  ??? 
     To be clear some say just get it running & tweak later. I see that logic & agree.  I just want to get some things done while I have it apart to save having to disassemble it again.  Oh & some things had to be done because of my stuck parts........... :P 
     Anyway I am very happy with my progress because at first I had serious doubts if I could ever get the beater running. Now, with all your help I am confident I CAN. So as always, thank-you all.................. :)  : ;)  :)
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

Best way to prime engine oil before  re-start ???  I know how to prime a FORD !!!  :)
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

What is best way two prime an engine for oil circulation ?
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

How do I unfasten a Bosch electrical connector 9656. The connector is very close to the idle screw adjust. 
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

rumb

Quote from: TNNBENZ on 20 November 2021, 01:04 PM
     How do I unfasten a Bosch electrical connector 9656. The connector is very close to the idle screw adjust.

pull on the little bail wire enough to release it.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Randys01

Re the priming question.

Remove the coil.
Remove the connector to the blue plug on top of the air metering box.

I find that spraying each cylinder with a Lanolin based aerosol eg IMOX takes care of the upper cylinder aspect.  Squirting it with oil achieves little because it always run to the low side of the piston.
Remove the cam boxes and lube the cam lobes with any engine oil inc timing chain.and rockers.
With fresh oil in the sump and the plugs still removed form the aerosol treatment crank the motor in 3-4 second bursts .

After about 5 attempts apply more oil to the the overhead gear.

Now crank it again for about 6 -8 seconds until you see the oil pressure gauge start to move. It may come up a little sooner .
Once you have oil pressure on the gauge, observe the overhead gear and you will see oil starting to flow out of everywhere.!

OK.nail it all back together.

Do not attempt to start the motor with the cam boxes removed. It is a semi flood design and  oil will go everywhere.

TNNBENZ

Quote from: Randys01 on 20 November 2021, 07:52 PM
Re the priming question.

Remove the coil.
Remove the connector to the blue plug on top of the air metering box.

I find that spraying each cylinder with a Lanolin based aerosol eg IMOX takes care of the upper cylinder aspect.  Squirting it with oil achieves little because it always run to the low side of the piston.
Remove the cam boxes and lube the cam lobes with any engine oil inc timing chain.and rockers.
With fresh oil in the sump and the plugs still removed form the aerosol treatment crank the motor in 3-4 second bursts .

After about 5 attempts apply more oil to the the overhead gear.

Now crank it again for about 6 -8 seconds until you see the oil pressure gauge start to move. It may come up a little sooner .
Once you have oil pressure on the gauge, observe the overhead gear and you will see oil starting to flow out of everywhere.!

OK.nail it all back together.

Do not attempt to start the motor with the cam boxes removed. It is a semi flood design and  oil will go everywhere.
randys01,  Wow, this sounds like a professional answer.  What is the cam box, would this be valve covers in America ? 
                       I have to do this after such a great detailed answer.  Thank-you very much randy01  ;)   :)   ;)

Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof