Author Topic: Advice Preparing 4 Restart  (Read 342 times)

TNNBENZ

• Enthusiast
  • Vintage Enthusiast
Re: Advice Preparing 4 Restart
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2021, 12:44 PM »
A few random comments.
crocus paper - compared to garnet type sandpapers this is preferable as garnet will embed itself into whatever you are sanding. Wet/Dry sandpapers this is not an issue.

Brake cleaner and carb cleaner are too volatile meaning it evaporates too fast. Find a solvent type cleaner. https://www.kroil.com/ is an excellent penetrating solvent.  I use "solvent" I buy at a local petroleum distributor. You cant buy it much of anywhere else. It's what was used forever in cleaning tanks, now days they are water based solvents.  I have no history using the new stuff, but it should work on everything for cleaning parts. Cleaning tub/sinks and water based solvent is available at Harbor Freight. A good parts cleaner is essential if you are restoring a car.

NO heat, there are orings in there.
A rebuilder told me brake fluid. Distributor looks like it has flawless black paint on it. The FD looks new. It may have been installed by someone !!! I do not want to remove the paint which the brake fluid will do !
I am going to use a hair drier after I remove it from the beaming sun which is where it is now. 
Wish me luck, & finding my 3rd missing fuel filter......... :-\
Crocus paper is the old timers name for emery cloth.
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L 
Project of Compassion
Silver Green/Metallic
Left Hand Drive ~ Retractable Roof

TNNBENZ

• Enthusiast
  • Vintage Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2021, 03:59 PM »
   Got the FD apart with the plunger stuck in the top half !!!  The innards look great.  :) No rust yet unless some has the plunger stuck.  I will post some pics later.  There is some very light carbon dust is all dirt I see, no gum etc.......It broke loose much easier than I expected.  I heated it several times with a antique hairdryer...  ;) & beat it senseless  ;D  with a rubber hammer.  I was too impatient and it was difficult to completely free the 2 halves & I spilled most of the springs & washers.
3 outlets stayed in tact so I have a reference to go by. 
Now I am slowing down to be safe, & it is a little late. There is a plastic filter looking ring loosely around the plunger. I want to use a solution that is safe & will not melt the plastic or harm anything else.
Project of Compassion
Silver Green/Metallic

TNNBENZ

• Enthusiast
  • Vintage Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: 14 October 2021, 10:25 AM »
Plunger is FREE @ LAST   :)  :)  :)
No rust  ::) Hallalouya   ::)  :)  ::) This Fuel distributor looks new. Maybe very few miles... I included some pics  ;)
Top & Bottom half were cleaner before I covered them with a slightly dirty rag. I did not have a lint free one handy.  I need to be more patient.
This is such a relief. I have been very worried about this distributor being ruined from ethanol gas for many, many moons...
« Last Edit: 14 October 2021, 10:44 AM by TNNBENZ »
Project of Compassion
Silver Green/Metallic

TNNBENZ

• Enthusiast
  • Vintage Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: 14 October 2021, 10:38 AM »
I added 5 other photos in my last post.  I do not know why they did not load  :o  :o  :o
Project of Compassion
Silver Green/Metallic

TNNBENZ

• Enthusiast
  • Vintage Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: 14 October 2021, 10:42 AM »
   I just need 1 fuel distributor fuel line filter...........oh the pain  :-\  :-[  :o Well I was overjoyed for a while  ???
Project of Compassion
Silver Green/Metallic

Randys01

• Classic
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: 15 October 2021, 09:19 PM »
You're in luck....that's one of the cleaner iron FDs Ive seen!
now to put it together...........!

TNNBENZ

• Enthusiast
  • Vintage Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: 16 October 2021, 08:30 AM »
You're in luck....that's one of the cleaner iron FDs Ive seen!
now to put it together...........!
It is the best I ever seen straight off a vehicle, because it is the only one I EVER SEEN  ;D ha... I keep making dumb mistakes mainly because of not being patient.  This is how you learn, but I know better I just have to make myself do what needs doing & not keep doing thing half way or hurriedly...
   I remember now that when I first took off distributor plunger  was hard to move so I took a block of wood & pushed it hard & it moved but would not move back .  I beat on it is why the filters came loose & some fell out. I read they were hard to remove so I did not dream they would just fall
out ! Also forgot to mark position of plunger before removal. I will spare u the rest  for now.  I post the details for others doing their first rebuild hoping to help them not make my mistakes.......Also to generate the veterans here to maybe help me  ::)   ;)  ::)
There was some very slight varnish on the plunger. I used some Marvel Mystery oil to free it up. Now it slides like a precision piece should.

Project of Compassion
Silver Green/Metallic

TNNBENZ

• Enthusiast
  • Vintage Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: Today at 10:45 AM »
   Another mistake I made was not marking the position the plunger housing was turned.  Not sure why it needs to be reinstalled in same place. It may ensure the fuel slots are properly aligned to flow out to the individual fuel lines.   Any advice anyone ?
I found a recommended height to reinstall the plunger.
Project of Compassion
Silver Green/Metallic