News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Advice Preparing 4 Restart

Started by TNNBENZ, 08 October 2021, 12:34 AM

TNNBENZ

Quote from: rumb on 11 October 2021, 06:57 PM
A few random comments.
crocus paper - compared to garnet type sandpapers this is preferable as garnet will embed itself into whatever you are sanding. Wet/Dry sandpapers this is not an issue.

Brake cleaner and carb cleaner are too volatile meaning it evaporates too fast. Find a solvent type cleaner. https://www.kroil.com/ is an excellent penetrating solvent.  I use "solvent" I buy at a local petroleum distributor. You cant buy it much of anywhere else. It's what was used forever in cleaning tanks, now days they are water based solvents.  I have no history using the new stuff, but it should work on everything for cleaning parts. Cleaning tub/sinks and water based solvent is available at Harbor Freight. A good parts cleaner is essential if you are restoring a car.

NO heat, there are orings in there.
A rebuilder told me brake fluid. Distributor looks like it has flawless black paint on it. The FD looks new. It may have been installed by someone !!! I do not want to remove the paint which the brake fluid will do !
I am going to use a hair drier after I remove it from the beaming sun which is where it is now. 
Wish me luck, & finding my 3rd missing fuel filter......... :-\
Crocus paper is the old timers name for emery cloth.
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

Got the FD apart with the plunger stuck in the top half !!!  The innards look great.  :) No rust yet unless some has the plunger stuck.  I will post some pics later.  There is some very light carbon dust is all dirt I see, no gum etc.......It broke loose much easier than I expected.  I heated it several times with a antique hairdryer...  ;) & beat it senseless  ;D  with a rubber hammer.  I was too impatient and it was difficult to completely free the 2 halves & I spilled most of the springs & washers.
3 outlets stayed in tact so I have a reference to go by. 
Now I am slowing down to be safe, & it is a little late. There is a plastic filter looking ring loosely around the plunger. I want to use a solution that is safe & will not melt the plastic or harm anything else.
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

Plunger is FREE @ LAST   :)  :)  :)
No rust  ::) Hallalouya   ::)  :)  ::) This Fuel distributor looks new. Maybe very few miles... I included some pics  ;)
Top & Bottom half were cleaner before I covered them with a slightly dirty rag. I did not have a lint free one handy.  I need to be more patient.
This is such a relief. I have been very worried about this distributor being ruined from ethanol gas for many, many moons...
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

I added 5 other photos in my last post.  I do not know why they did not load  :o  :o  :o
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

I just need 1 fuel distributor fuel line filter...........oh the pain  :-\  :-[  :o Well I was overjoyed for a while  ???
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

Randys01

You're in luck....that's one of the cleaner iron FDs Ive seen!
now to put it together...........!

TNNBENZ

Quote from: Randys01 on 15 October 2021, 11:19 PM
You're in luck....that's one of the cleaner iron FDs Ive seen!
now to put it together...........!
It is the best I ever seen straight off a vehicle, because it is the only one I EVER SEEN  ;D ha... I keep making dumb mistakes mainly because of not being patient.  This is how you learn, but I know better I just have to make myself do what needs doing & not keep doing thing half way or hurriedly...
   I remember now that when I first took off distributor plunger  was hard to move so I took a block of wood & pushed it hard & it moved but would not move back .  I beat on it is why the filters came loose & some fell out. I read they were hard to remove so I did not dream they would just fall
out ! Also forgot to mark position of plunger before removal. I will spare u the rest  for now.  I post the details for others doing their first rebuild hoping to help them not make my mistakes.......Also to generate the veterans here to maybe help me  ::)   ;)  ::)
There was some very slight varnish on the plunger. I used some Marvel Mystery oil to free it up. Now it slides like a precision piece should.

Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

Another mistake I made was not marking the position the plunger housing was turned.  Not sure why it needs to be reinstalled in same place. It may ensure the fuel slots are properly aligned to flow out to the individual fuel lines.   Any advice anyone ?
I found a recommended height to reinstall the plunger.
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

Quote from: TNNBENZ on 13 October 2021, 02:34 PM
Quote from: rumb on 11 October 2021, 06:57 PM
A few random comments.
crocus paper - compared to garnet type sandpapers this is preferable as garnet will embed itself into whatever you are sanding. Wet/Dry sandpapers this is not an issue.

Brake cleaner and carb cleaner are too volatile meaning it evaporates too fast. Find a solvent type cleaner. https://www.kroil.com/ is an excellent penetrating solvent.  I use "solvent" I buy at a local petroleum distributor. You cant buy it much of anywhere else. It's what was used forever in cleaning tanks, now days they are water based solvents.  I have no history using the new stuff, but it should work on everything for cleaning parts. Cleaning tub/sinks and water based solvent is available at Harbor Freight. A good parts cleaner is essential if you are restoring a car.

NO heat, there are orings in there
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

I do not know what happened to the post before this one. Sometimes I do something wrong trying to use a quote from a previous message & it displays wrong & looks stupid  ???
   I am gonna try a new one next.
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

OK
   I am about to attempt to reassemble my cast iron fuel distributor.  I did not mark the height or position plunger was situated before disassembly !!!   
How do I align  the plunger ?  A video said it has to be reinstalled the same place before it was removed.  I did not mark its position duh.  One suggestion for the height was was given, I forgot what the measurement was, I will have to watch vid again..........
   Now what do I do ???
Also any advice for my reassembly, do I need to lube or seal anything...etc...etc...Is silicone ok for the rubber seals around the  fuel slits, I guess vasoline , motor oil maybe ???
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

Well my help is waning...........Why hast thou forsaken me ?  :-[  ::)  :-[
   Anyway, overjoyed after freeing the control plunger in my alloy distributor !!!  It was severely stuck  !!! :o  I was very worried and almost certain there was rust causing it to stick.  After patiently trying several ways I got it out & it looks perfect !!!!!!!!!!!   Yes...........I am almost ecstatic  ;D  ;D  ;D  These 2 stuck control plungers have caused me lots of lingering worry and hesitation in completing my fuel system rebuild  :-[  NOW I AM STOKED & REJUVENATED, EAGER TO FINISH THIS RESTART........WELL UNTIL MY NEXT PROBLEM which is I either have a stuck push valve or someone removed it !!! Anyone ever have a push valve that is stuck ? Looks to me it is gone !!! I will look closer later today..........
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

Found push valve.    Now need to know differences between a 1979 airflow meter housing with alloy distributor and 1977 cast iron airflow meter housing. I think there is different vacuum line connection on bottom half of housing.  Anyone made this upgrade ?

Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

Randys01

I have upgraded the duel distributor on my 6.9.
There were no additional ports etc.

Whatever else is going on in your fuel system, whilst the alloy distrb  may or may not resolve you difficulties, don't expect it to idle well.
You may have to adjust the WUR. The alloy distrib is adjustable itself but you need to calibrate this before you put it on.  Calibration requires  a full blown replica fuel delivery circuit.
These of course are far and few between.
Just get the thing going and worry about finessing it {if necessary but almost doubtless ] down the track.

TNNBENZ

Quote from: Randys01 on 31 October 2021, 03:06 AM
I have upgraded the duel distributor on my 6.9.
There were no additional ports etc.

Whatever else is going on in your fuel system, whilst the alloy distrb  may or may not resolve you difficulties, don't expect it to idle well.
You may have to adjust the WUR. The alloy distrib is adjustable itself but you need to calibrate this before you put it on.  Calibration requires  a full blown replica fuel delivery circuit.
These of course are far and few between.
Just get the thing going and worry about finessing it {if necessary but almost doubtless ] down the track.
Thank-you Randys01,   I totally agree about the calibration.
     I will use your advice after I get my important parts clean and functioning and doing the recommended revisions in the Mercedes manual. This is the main help I currently need now. The fuel plunger was  stuck in dist., the air flow meter plate was stuck, and the roller for the fuel plunger also stuck from dried gas & varnish !!!  This is why I bought kits for the WUR, and fuel dist.
    After months of reading post on K-jet injection, many official Mercedes Benz, and BOSCH manuals,  watching videos on youtube, even some on Motor Trend TV,  there are 2 things I firmly believe. One I learned here first : replace the old fuel system on a car that has not been started in years.  Number 2 is from the official Mercedes Benz M117 engine manual : Various upgrades to improve engine starting ; compensating valve, 13mm fuel hoses, different fuel damper, connection of 1 WUR vacuum line, etc... etc...  The alloy dist has the needed compensating valve is why I am changing to it. I want to do changes now instead of later.  These changes should improve engine operation according to service manual.  I have a fuel pressure gauge to do all the test in the manual to hopefully get the system operable as you suggest. I truly believe with you & this forums help I can get my car running. Then I will fine tune the fuel system with the many manuals and help here and if needed take it to a mechanic.
   Today I cleaned on the airflow meter and got plate moving. It needs more cleaning because I think it is a little slow moving compared to the cast iron one.  I see the plate arm can be taken apart by removing 2 snap rings. I need advice whether to do this. It looks like it may be hard to reassemble correctly. Any advice on this. I think the plate needs a little more cleaning to move a little easier. It moves ok just not sure if it is right...
   Help..........help................ha..........lol............ha

Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof