News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Adding an automatic transmission cooler

Started by michaeld, 21 July 2006, 12:26 AM

michaeld

Has anyone added an AT cooling unit to their cars?  Where would one install one, given the condenser and the fan's location over the radiator?  Another question: should you run it along w/ the radiator's cooling (i.e., cool the trans fluid, and then let it pass through the cooling fins), or bypass the radiator altogether?

If anyone did install one - and the location "works" - could you send a pic?

An AT cooler seems like a good idea.

s class

My 280SE and 450SL already have AT cooling - its a horizontal chamber at the bottom of the water radiator.  Do the US cars not have this?  Or do you want an uprated unit?

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

michaeld

Big Richard understands my meaning.  He also clearly understands both the advantage AND the dilemma of adding an aftermarket trans cooler.

Partially due to the fact that I have been dealing w/ a too-high-for-comfort temperature issue, it occurred to me that it would be nice to add an auxilliary aftermarket trans cooler.  As Big Richard pointed out, these units  have been available as part of a so-called "tow package" (available on many US V-8s as an option), and "beef up" the trans by providing additional cooling.  Often these units are located in front of the radiator.  Such a unit would not only cool down a transmission, but also would help cool down a cooling system by taking some of the load off of it.

Given the fact that the front of w116s radiators are "otherwise occupied," where might we locate such a unit?  The units are cheap ($35-75 USD), and extremely effective, but where to put the cooling fin assembly?  Like the radiator and the condenser, it needs good air flow.  One option would be to locate the unit below the radiator, but that would put it at risk of being damaged by a curb or a pothole.  Another would be to place it to the side of the engine, but that might not provide adequate air flow.

If anyone has successfully tacked this problem, I for one would surely like to hear your story!
Mike