News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Adam's 450 SE Project

Started by thysonsacclaim, 09 November 2010, 05:05 PM

koan

Quote from: WGB on 11 July 2011, 08:40 PM
I have had seven kidney stones and started drinking a bit more beer to flush them out.

I've now got a couple "that are in the meat" as the renal doc puts it, he said keep the fluid intake up but he didn't specifically mention beer :)

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

john6007

I'm happy to flow Dr Bills advice, 'drink more beer'.
79 - 450SEL 6.9 #5628 &  #6466, 92 - 300CE-24, 98 - MX-5, 89 - Ducati 906 Paso

thysonsacclaim

I've never had stones, but a good friend of mine did. She got a bit annoyed after the stone wouldn't pass.

At that point, she asked me what she should do since I am premed and I suggested she drink a regulated amount of vodka alternating with water. She would drink a shot, followed by 8 ounces water and then wait until that was nearly metabolized. She did it 7 times and passed the stone next morning.

Ethanol can help pass them I think depending on the type of stone, and is listed as a remedy in a 60 year old medical text I have. I think there were some recent papers I read on it, too when she asked.

I really don't drink alcohol much to be honest, so this is a bit of a shocker. I am actually still here, and yes Dr Bill it was an embolism, just have no idea where it came from. Everything has checked out good but of course I can't leave until the figure out how it was caused. Its a very rare thing for a young guy to get.

Right now there is an internist, haemotologist, urologist, cardiologist and nephrologist which have consulted.

I think all will be good soon, though, I just can't stand being laid up ... esp missing work and play. But Ive become Ive become accustomed to eating broth and juice since thats all theyre letting me have!

I bet Ive lost a few pounds.re some recent papers I read on it, too when she asked.

I really don't drink alcohol much to be honest, so this is a bit of a shocker. I am actually still here, and yes Dr Bill it was an embolism, just have no idea where it came from. Everything has checked out good but of course I can't leave until the figure out how it was caused. Its a very rare thing for a young guy to get.

Right now there is an internist, haemotologist, urologist, cardiologist and nephrologist which have consulted.

I think all will be good soon, though, I just can't stand being laid up ... esp missing work and play. But Ive become Ive become accustomed to eating broth and juice since thats all theyre letting me have!

I bet Ive lost a few pounds.

Thanks for the words. Heres to hoping I can leave today or tomorrow..

koan

Think the morphine/pethidine dose needs to be turned down, you are repeating yourself, repeating yourself :)

Hope you're out soon, my longest stay in hospital was three days and I couldn't have lasted another day.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

TJ 450

That's an unexpected turn of events.

I hope all works out OK and you return to your former self soon.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

thysonsacclaim

Hahaha. Yes, those IVs sure do funky things. I had the most vivid dreams, too.

I am on the way out whenever they bring me the paperwork.

Apparently I should take it easy for a bit. Sounds about as exciting as eating various broths for every meal for almost 4 days.

1980sdga

Can they tell what part of the kidney the infarct was in?  That is strange?

Take it easy man. Do what the doc tells you after discharge. I'm sweating in the garage enough for both of us!

thysonsacclaim

Quote from: 1980sdga on 12 July 2011, 05:08 PM
Can they tell what part of the kidney the infarct was in?  That is strange?

Take it easy man. Do what the doc tells you after discharge. I'm sweating in the garage enough for both of us!

Yes. They did a CT with contrast and I asked to see it after it was done. The embolism occurred a good ways after the renal artery, where the kidney receives it's blood supply, in the lower right anterior aspect, limiting the damage. Threw them off a bit because I had no back pain at all, which does often coexist with a kidney issue. They first assumed it was gallbladder or appendix related.

I'm doing well now, actually. Bit graphic, but only pissed out sweet tea color looking stuff twice, and only 700 mLs worth so that's good. Had the clot been closer to the renal artery or in it, I would probably have had a full or partial nephrectomy.

No clue what caused it. I eat relatively well, and don't use drugs of any sort besides what I'm given to control Narcolepsy. They actually thought I was lying about that (again because it's so rare) and did a UA anyway, which came back negative on everything except opiates, which of course they had pumped me full of. I guess they were expecting me to be closet crack/coke/meth head or something.

I gave them 27 vials of blood only to hear I have perfect clotting factors, etc, etc, etc.

I normally do go right back to things if I get sick, but I'm guessing I should be cautious. Blood clot is a scary thing and I am lucky it happened in the kidney, not the heart, lung or brain  :(

Breakfast, lunch, dinner for the last 3.5 days (alternating gelatin and broth flavors  :D ):

Actually got used to it to be honest.

KenM

Geez Adam what a pisser, especially as you say if you look after your diet pretty well. I'd tell you to drink more fluids but you've got that covered by the sounds of it. I get through between 2-4 litres of water a day, more on

hot days, makes a difference I reckon. No idea of the state of the kidneys but I do always make sure to only drink German beer, I'm a great believer in the Rheinheitsgebot  ;D

Get well soon.

thysonsacclaim

Hey guys,

After my stint the magnificent hospital I took a little hiatus from school and work to recuperate. I'm ready to get the project back up to speed.

I will be having some friends over this week and/or next to help finish the build. I have all the parts needed, short of new belts and radiator hosing.

Very excited to drive the car again; it has been months!

After this, I have some plans for the exterior, including the metal work, but also the trim, lights and rims.

MB_Mike

Hey Adam, glad to hear you are on the mend. Sorry I missed your earlier posts  but glad to have you back.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

UTn_boy

Adam, up until about 3-4 days ago I had been away from the W116 forum for several months.  I am just now reading your posts, as I have always kept up with your progress.  A Renal infarction is no joke, and I am sure you are well aware of that, given your current studies.  I need to get back in school, too.  I was in Pre med  2-3 years ago and had to stop due to my own illnesses. I so enjoyed it, was doing really well, and I do miss it.  I was hell bound in becoming a forensic pathologist. haha. Turning wrenches at home now to pay bills.  Someday soon I'll get back on track I hope.  Anyway, glad you are at least out of the hellspital.  haha, and I am glad you are still with us.  Take care buddy.  AARON
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

jjb-w116-hu

Nice to hear youre back and OK Adam ,
look forward to project progress and your health pal... ciao for now James