News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Accelerator Linkage

Started by TNNBENZ, 24 November 2021, 11:50 AM

TNNBENZ

There is a bracket that the accelerator rod pushes against. This bracket is very securly attached to the engine. The rod it supports is blocking my access to the bolt that holds the injector bridge connector.  I need this out of my way !!!   If I remove the bracket will it be hard to put it back. Will it disrupt the accelerator pedal working correctly ?  Will rod have to be readjusted or reset ? Should I try another way to access the bolt ???  ???
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

rumb

This bracket? lower right of photo.

injector bridge connector?  Are you referring the the hard line connector to the injector?
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

TNNBENZ

Yes rumb,  except mine has a ball on the end resting on the round recess of the bracket.    So glad for the quick response !!! I am working on car NOW  & would luv to get this taken care of today............ Is this safe to move and will the rod move enough to access the bolt......
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

I am referring to the flat steel plate looking piece that secures the fuel injector . There is a bolt holding the plate I must remove to remove the injector.  :-[
      Your bracket looks to be in about the same place as mine but made a little different &   much more cleaner..........ha........anyway me moving the rod is my concern will it be hard to replace.  I wonder if I move it will it come apart and be hard to get it back in the right place .........oh........my........ha
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

As I said this looks a little different from mine I think........the rod looks the same & the spring upper part but the bottom part looks different, mine has a ball on the end resting in a hole , rod running through a hole in the bracket .  The bolt is underneath the bracket, like yours in the photo !!!
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

rumb

Removinfg the linkage braxckey is no worries. It all goes back together easily.
Your description sounds same as mine.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

TNNBENZ

Great...........YES..........ur the man................I am getting mucho stuff done..........except I just discovered there may be a broken connector on my brake master cylinder !!!!!!!!!oh no..........I was just about 2 take a photo of it.   It has a wire connector and a plastic /broken piece on same connector next to it.  It looks like it may be serious part to replace.........
     rumb you quick response is exponentially appreciated.......you are  GENTLEMAN & A SCHOLAR..........THANK-YOU  :)   ;)   :D
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

My accelerator bracket.....
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

rumb

Yes they are the same. Just take the bracket off.  There are 2 plastic bushings, probably new ones are a good idea.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

TNNBENZ

Quote from: rumb on 24 November 2021, 08:25 PM
Yes they are the same. Just take the bracket off.  There are 2 plastic bushings, probably new ones are a good idea.
Two plastic bushings on the rod or injector.   I am ordering new housings & seals, already have injectors, and removed all plastic housings except one under accelerator bracket...........What 2 bushings do I need ???

Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

UTn_boy

You simply remove the circlip at the front of the rod, disconnect the ball sockets at the rear of the rod, and then push the rod to the rear of the car against the spring, and it'll angle/slide out.  It it is not necessary to remove the bracket unless the intake manifold is being resealed.  There are ball type plastic bushings on each end of this rod,....not just on one end.  These bushings do crumble away with age, so if they're missing or questionable looking then renew them.  Picture below for reference.  The smaller part goes inside of the ball, and both face inward to the rod. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

TNNBENZ

Quote from: UTn_boy on 25 November 2021, 11:12 AM
You simply remove the circlip at the front of the rod, disconnect the ball sockets at the rear of the rod, and then push the rod to the rear of the car against the spring, and it'll angle/slide out.  It it is not necessary to remove the bracket unless the intake manifold is being resealed.  There are ball type plastic bushings on each end of this rod,....not just on one end.  These bushings do crumble away with age, so if they're missing or questionable looking then renew them.  Picture below for reference.  The smaller part goes inside of the ball, and both face inward to the rod.
GREAT  to hear from you UTn_boy  :)   ;)   :)     I had to take a break from my Mercedes when I was making good progress !!!   Everyone's help has really inspired me to keep going & be positive, and not worry too much about the much needed money I am spending on my cherished Mercedes Benz I thought was such a bargain when I bought it as it started to rain, which rushed the deal even more. I was already pressed for time before the rain started.............Anyway, that is what makes life worth living, doing what you like and taking chances sometimes makes the reward at the end much more enjoyably... ;)   ;)   ;)   ;)   ;)  ;)   :) :)
     I got the last injector out & saw that there appears to be lots of play in several of the rod & sockets of the accelerator linkages !!! Not sure if this is normal wear or parts need replacing.  Will follow up later, for now I wanted to thank UTn_boy  ( because he has not commented lately ) for the great photo & great advice ( AS ALWAYS ).   :)    :)   :) :)
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

raueda1

Play can come from worn bushings and the balls.  Per rumb and utnboy replace them on principle.  THEN go through the process of adjusting the linkage.  This can (and probably will) make a big difference in throttle response.  I'm pretty sure that the procedure has been covered here somewhere, so do a search.  Don't rush or look for shortcuts.  It's another case of "nothing works unless everything works."  Cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

TNNBENZ

Yes raueda1 I knew I was gonna need to adjust the linkage.  For now I must control my compulsion to fix or replace more than is needed.  I must get start this beater first to see if it is worth keeping.  Engine appears to be in good condition & well cared for, & low miles but you never know until you here it run     :o    ???    :o 
      I probably will add a bushing or 2 to my order, an order I wisely am taking my time to not forget something to save on shipping !!!  I do need to hurry ::) ::) it up though.............ha.............thank you raueda1
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof