News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

ACC overhaul - Heater box / evaporator removal

Started by ckamila, 30 January 2012, 11:43 PM

ckamila

Here is a look at the exploded view of airbox sections

Blue tape on heater core is where i will attach semi-dense open-cell foam around perimeter with contact adhesive to replicate original condition.
Evap core receives similar foam treatment but just held in place (friction fit) between coils and upper/lower sections (heater core has metal frame to attach foam with adhesive).
Lower airbox tray section (right side in picture) vac pod rebuilt with new diaphragm (thanks george murphy), still needs black rubber hose section attaching pod to internal pass through nipple.
Bottom section of white vac pod (left hand side of picture) for defrost will be fully replaced with new purchased dual chamber pod and pink (center vent) pod gets new diaphragm.
Still need to replace old expansion valve

Need to replace gromets at the heater hose to heater pipes located at cowl (lower 2 below) 107 997 01 81 - heater pipes through firewall - $12.60 ea x 2 (14.00 list).
Upper gromet (below) is in engine compartment above servo, at firewall. Joe has it listed NLA...maybe a standard graomet without the neck will work there?
116 997 04 81 - a/c hose through firewall - NLA

If it's not broke i haven't fix it yet...

1980 300SD, 170K
1985 300D, 235K

koan

Another good thread with pictures.

I really appreciate posters who (remember to) take pictures of their work, they're a valuable record for the next guy.

koan.
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Hemersam

'78 280SE.  Yesterday, I noticed that both windshield wiper camshafts have no rubber grommet; they've apparently rotted away. I suppose water could leak through those smal un-sealedl openings, but would it drain into the area below the hood vents (thus into the vents to the engine compartment), or would it leak into the passenger compartment? Thanks.
Hemersam

ckamila

Koan - Thanks. I have a lot of pictures and skipped some segments - making templates for the lower vent flaps and defrost flaps as an example. Moderation in all things is a good goal. Happy to supply more pictures to those that want/need them. Think my biggest job before this was front wheel brake job with new rotors and inner and outer bearings - even bought the dial gauge to measure wheel play rather than the Haynes' procedure of tightening the locknut while rotating the hub until tight and then backing off a 1/3 of a turn - some people swear by it, others curse the procedure.

Hermersam - Not sure what you are describing. Looked in my FSM and online with EPC and can't locate a exploded view of wiper assembly - i just love those exploded views...a picture can list a thousand parts and the order they go in. Truly a thing of beauty.

I took this picture of my left hand side of the cowl area. Anything here what you are referring to?

I need to replace the fiber, or very hard rubber, washers that go under the metal washer at bottom of wiper spindle(?) . An exploded view would be nice.....as i don't recall the order but someone will chime in.

1980 300SD, 170K
1985 300D, 235K

Hemersam

CKamila: the windshield wiper spindles which protrude slightly out of the hood vents and onto which the wiper arms are attached. There is no rubber around the spindles.
Hemersam

koan

Quote from: ckamila on 18 February 2012, 12:03 PM
I have a lot of pictures and skipped some segments - making templates for the lower vent flaps and defrost flaps as an example. Moderation in all things is a good goal

I put my pictures in a "koan" album in the gallery, and into sub-albums on subject, that way they stay around as long as the forum does. Also I rarely post big pictures in a thread, just a single clickable thumb nail to the sub album so only those interested have to see 67 pictures of the screws that hold the astray in ;)

koan

ckamila

koan - I like your method and will work to move to that format. Given the added pictures...who picks up the bill for hosting and storage costs?

chris

1980 300SD, 170K
1985 300D, 235K

koan

Quote from: ckamila on 19 February 2012, 02:08 AM
who picks up the bill for hosting and storage costs?

Have you not paid yet?

No, our much esteemed admin carries the costs.

koan

ckamila

Ready to switch out the expansion valve with new. I don't see and info regarding sealing compound for threads - probably would introduce junk into system.

Removing old valve i did notice copper sealing washer. Will this washer need replacing or can i reuse? No copper washer listed on EPC just a filter p/n A 108 835 02 47. Must be for hose as i don't see any removable filter within expansion valve high pressure connection.

Anyone know where to get the 5mm sealing cord - see link step #15 http://handbook.w116.org/Climate%5C83-538.pdf
I am guessing sealing cord is neoprene but can't locate a source locally or web. Will try dealer tomorrow.

(edit - found supply of sealing cord and P/N is 000 987 51 33)

thanks
chris

1980 300SD, 170K
1985 300D, 235K

koan

Quote from: ckamila on 19 February 2012, 04:49 PM
Will this washer need replacing or can i reuse?

It should be replaced, old washers harden with age and won't deform to seal again.

Replacement washer will be flat, any auto place should have them

If you cant get a new washer clean up the old one, and re-anneal in a gas flame and let it cool in the air.

koan

KenM

Quote from: koan on 19 February 2012, 10:49 PM
Quote from: ckamila on 19 February 2012, 04:49 PM
Will this washer need replacing or can i reuse?

Replacement washer will be flat, any auto place should have them

Have to correct you there koan, that's a flare washer and they come that way, you can make your own Chris if you have some tubing, flare block and pipe cutters, otherwise just do as Koan says and heat

him up with an oxy for 2 secs. You can buy new ones at a supplier if it goes to poo. Probably best to have one in there, especially if you are going with 134a. You can use a sealant, a specific one made for

refrig and a/c but just a TINY bit, a smear is all you need. That sealing cord looks exactly like what's in the evap box on a landcruiser, should be able to get a roll pretty easily somewhere.

Cheers,

koan

Quote from: KenM on 20 February 2012, 01:27 AM
Have to correct you there koan, that's a flare washer and they come that way

Never realised that  they came that way

koan

ckamila

Ordered new flare washer but a big NO on the sealing cord. Parts guy at Phil Smart (Seattle area dealer) suggested butyl cord.

KenM - any further info on the thread sealing compound?

Joe - i would like to order a few parts when you have the time. Suggestion on substitution for NLA parts (116 997 04 81 - a/c hose through firewall - NLA)

Off for a short holiday.

Thanks to all

chris

1980 300SD, 170K
1985 300D, 235K

KenM

Hey Chris, you can just use refrig oil if you have some handy, put a drop on the front and back of all your flare faces, or you can buy a sealant, I use stuff called leak-lock, comes in a small blue tube, just smear

a bit on the flare faces. Just don't put it together dry, that's when you will have troubles later.

Cheers,

jbrasile

Hi Chris,

Pls email me the list to  joe@mbklassik.net and I can confirm prices and availability.

As for the NLA hose, take the old one to a good a/c hose shop and they should be able to make one for you using the original terminals.

Tks,

Joe