News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

ACC Climate Control Servo

Started by zedster, 19 March 2010, 04:02 PM

zedster

OK, I had a problem where when the servo was connected electrically it would drain my battery until it was dead. I bought a rebuilt one:

Mercedes 107 116 123 rebuilt climate control servo

My mechanic put it in and when I ran the ac/heat system all I got was hot air. I parked the car in my garage and it stayed there for approx 3 days. When I went to start the car I again had a dead battery. I jumped the car and took it to my mechanic to get my WUR replaced. He again disconnected the servo, charged the battery, and no more dead battery.

I don't think it is the servo since 2 of them have done the same thing. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
1979 450 SEL "Spinne Blaue"

Big_Richard

I would seek the opinion of the seller, he seems quite knowledgable on the devices and is actually the person who rebuilds them, he also offers a 90 day warranty. It sounds like you may have a dud, but he will have a better idea.

zedster

Ya I emailed him. The warranty is 90 days and I think that just ended.  :(

Big_Richard

uh oh, that kinda sucks, yeah 90 days ended a couple days ago.

Has it ever worked?

when did you get around to installing it ?

zedster

It was shipped from Canada to me which took a little while. I wasn't in a big hurry to get it installed and had my mechanic do it in one swoop when he did my fuel distributor. Mostly my fault and I am okay with that (loosing the $$ sucks but what can you do?) . I was just wondering if it could be something else? I guess I will look into the Unwired ACCII kit if it is recommended?

Big_Richard

i would certainly trust the unwired kit more so than the old amplifier/servo combo, as it replaces the whole package and the only thing that you reuse is the push button assembly.

If the seller is uncooperative, im sure someone on here will be able to tell you what the problem is, and how to fix it. Unfortunatly the auto climate control system is pretty rare on this forum as it seems most members have the manual systems.

zedster

I called a shop in my area that is listed on Unwired tools site as an installer. I waited on hold for a bit and finally spoke to a guy that has put them in before. He said he hasn't had luck with them either. He said it was a lot of modifications and tweaking to get them right. He actually recommended buying a new one. Who knows from where?

Papalangi

I think I remember there being two fuses for the ACCII system.  One or both are inline and located in the fuse box.  One provides power with key off (?) to park the servo.  I'm wondering if if it's not parking fully and that's keeping the system powered up with the key off.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

zedster

I can give it a try if I know what fuse does what.

Papalangi

The wiring diagram is here, http://handbook.w116.org/climate_73_4l.htm click on job 83-605.

Fuses 12 and 85 are add on inline fuse holders and I'd check for current flowing through them with the key off.  They may or may not have voltage present with key off but more importantly, there should be no current flow.

Pull the negative battery cable.  Set a DMM capable of 10 Amps or so to the current range and plug the leads into the correct jacks on the DMM.  Connect one current lead of the DMM to the post and the other lead of the DMM to the battery cable just removed.  DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE CAR!  You will kill the DMM.  With the key off, pull fuses one by one until the current drops to zero.  Do remember to shut the doors and wait for the dome lamp to turn off.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8