News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

A/C setback

Started by oscar, 31 October 2007, 12:32 AM

Brian Crump

The 450SE has been converted to 134a.
As to whether it is truly colder or just feels that way will have to wait until I can test it with a temp probe.
Regards,
BC

s class

Oscar,

Another thought about A/C performance - did you replace the receiver-drier?  After sitting so long inactive, the old one would be useless.  They are not that expensive - I typically pay the equivalent of AUS$25 or so. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

Thanks sclass,

No, didn't replace the drier.  The drier's online seem to have the bracket welded on the opposite side to what I need and I haven't tried to source one in Aus so no idea how much they cost here. 

Really, we're basically looking at the difference between a thorough job and my way.   ::)  It's a result of a lack of tools and parts and a surplus of impatience and enthusiasm to get something happening before this summer.  Some facts about the system.

-The system was previously charged/converted to r134a which had leaked out.
-Has got an unkown amount of PAG oil running around inside
-Hasn't been flushed
-Any service part at least 4yrs old
-No vacuum applied during charging so there is an unkown amount of air in the system

So considering that, all in all, it's operating satisfactorily. (plus, just 10mins ago, the belt screeeched and slipped.  The idler pulley has moved, maybe the belt has been on the loose side all this time (or the compressor's about to sieze))  It's ok, just looseish belt. 

Tested our Ford Territory just now and on max fan lowest temp it stayed around 11deg with 26 outside temp.  Low fan max cool, it cycled between 8 and 11deg. 

For some reason though, the Territory kicks butt on a hot day, moreso than the w116.  Part of the reason is, I think, the w116 cooling/heater fan is a pussy compared to the Terri which really pumps some air into the cabin. (rear passenger vents help cool the car too IMO)   

Pat, not sure when I'll get a chance to look at the sensor bulb, but when I do I might look at this fan too.  I think I might be asking you about the alternator issue before that.  No use having a/c if the battery/alt can't operate electric accessories.  I'll collect some data, do some searches, then start a new thread.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

CraigS

I bought a new one off eBay AU for $10 a while back

Quote from: oscar on 10 November 2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks sclass,

No, didn't replace the drier.  The drier's online seem to have the bracket welded on the opposite side to what I need and I haven't tried to source one in Aus so no idea how much they cost here. 

[quote\]
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

oscar

That's a bargain Craig.  Below is a pic from autohausaz which shows the bracket on the drier facing the wrong way for my car.  Do LHD cars have the drier on the LH side?  Mine's on the RHS.  I can't see how I could fit the one pictured without cutting the bracket off and welding it on facing the other way.  Not sure how I'd do it with a stick welder (don't have a MIG)

Whilst there's a few 6.9ers here, I've seen some 6.9's have two canisters or two driers upfront.  Why is that?

WGB

The 116 and 117 motors have the receiver/drier on the right side and the 6.9 has it on the left side.

The 6.9 has another tank on the right side but it is something to do with the hydraulics - it just looks like a drier.

I purchased a new one when I did my 450 (Non-6.9) about three years ago and it was available off the shelf in Perth with the correct sided bracket and the cost was around the $50 from memory. I think it is a mandatory replacement when rebuilding the system.

Bill

oscar

Ahh thanks WGB.  Always wondered what the 2nd one was for.  Agreed the A/C drier is a mandatory service item.  Everything I read says so.  I just wanted to charge the system up to begin with to find what issues arose.  Dare I say I'm finding a few. 

Noticed a bit of black/grey grease/oil being thrown off by the clutch today.  Doesn't drip, but the clutch is moist.  I'll wait for winter before I get a reco unit or try and rebuild it. 

BTW, with the system charged, how hard should it be to turn the compressor? 

With clutch disengaged from the pulley, I turned the forward most part of the compressor which was very firm but still turnable with the inside of my index finger and thumb.  Definitely not free wheeling.

Big_Richard