News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

ABS conversion parts

Started by 3l33ter, 25 January 2018, 07:44 PM

3l33ter

I found a 280SE with ABS at a local junkyard, and I wanted to make sure I've obtained all of the necessary parts:

main unit which sits on the driver side inner fender (LHD)
the bracket which holds the main unit (cut out of fender)
the 2 brake lines going to the master cylinder
the 2 brake lines going to the front calipers
the 1 brake line going towards the rear (decoupled near the driver footwell)
the wiring harness which went from the unit, over the RH side, through the firewall, and into the footwell
the wiring that goes to the cluster and fusebox
the wiring that goes along the inside floor to the rear for the differential sensor, and the wires to the front hubs
(basically all of the wiring is one bundle that is all connected together... yes it was tough to remove!)
the computer in the passenger footwell
the parts of the cluster which have colored filters for warning lights (with the ABS warning light)

I chose not to get the front hubs because I could easily get those from a w126, and I was running out of room (and ability to carry weight)
I chose not to get the differential (with the hole for the ABS sensor) because, again, I could easily get that from a w126, and again, space/weight. But mainly, it was a 3.69:1 ratio which I don't want.
I chose not to take the sensors because all 3 were jammed into their sockets! And I can get them elsewhere.

So A) did I forget anything, and B) did I make a mistake not taking the hubs/diff/sensors?

Thanks!
'75 280S
'77 6.9
'82 300TD

s class

You need the steering knuckles and the front hubs from an ABS car, but you are correct, a 126 can donate those.

I recommend you grab the diff with sensor.  ABS is rare on 126 280's, but more common on the v8 models.  However a v8 diff will not easily transplant into your 116 280 unless you change prop, sideshafts and possibly rear subframe along with it.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

3l33ter

Oops, when I said hubs, I meant knuckles  8)

I forgot about needing to change the diff's input yoke when using a 126 v8 diff. Thanks!
'75 280S
'77 6.9
'82 300TD

s class

You need the knuckles because they have the mounting bore for the speed sensors, and you need the hubs (that the discs bolt onto) because they have the toothed ring that the speed sensor detects. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

3l33ter

In that case, let me revise my oops to a double oops - what I actually meant was knuckles AND hubs  :P

Thanks for the correction!
'75 280S
'77 6.9
'82 300TD