News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Aaaarrrggggghhhhhh Need Help - Ignition Timing gone wrong....

Started by SELfor50, 24 October 2007, 02:16 AM

koan

I sometimes have trouble getting inaccessible vacuum lines off.

It's no good just pulling on them as that just stretches the rubber length wise, making it smaller diameter and as a result tighter.

I bend a bit of coat hanger or similar wire into a small open loop and then bend that at 90 degrees so it can be hooked below the end of the rubber end of the vacuum line. That way when the wire is pulled it compresses the rubber length wise making it larger diameter, hopefully enough to get it off easily without any risk of breaking plastic/nylon connections.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

450SLC 5.6 supercharged

okay  i maby put a silly question here now  but what is your problem about ign courve   is it on full power driving ore cruising ore  in D drive at idle ore whats the problem here         why do you expect ignition problem at all? .             happie tuning

craigb

No use in telling you this now but I think if you take your VIN to the dealer they can get you a key (assuming of course it is the original lock). Quite possibly quicker and cheaper your way though.

About the avgas, I think I posted it on here in one of my first posts (which is only a few weeks ago) but you definitely can get avgas if you want it, you just need one of these passbooks issued via clubs. Pretty sure they are only $20 as a once off purchase for the book. But if your engine is standard compression I am guessing there would be no advantage. Certainly if you run lower octane fuel you need to retard ignition but there will be a point where you can't advance the ignition any further and just guessing 98 octane will get you there. If you want to shave your heads and increase compression (or in some vehicles put higher crowned pistons with valve cut outs) this gives you better thermal efficiency (think that's what they call it) but you need the extra octane to deal with that.
1980 280s

SELfor50

Got the VAC advance line back on yesterday!!  With the pair of tweakies and some bright sunlight it took about 5mins.

As I had no vac advance (I think this was the cause) I had to make it idle higher as otherwise it would just die at the lights.
Due to this, I managed to go through nearly $200 worth of fuel in 4 days and only about 450km's.  It was running like a dog.

[A much happier] Cam.  :)

Andrew280SEL

Good to hear Cam!

Quote from: SELfor50 on 04 November 2007, 05:19 PM

Due to this, I managed to go through nearly $200 worth of fuel in 4 days and only about 450km's. 

Now you know what it will be like to own a 6.9...
Bwahaahahah!  ;)

Just kidding.  :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

SELfor50

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 04 November 2007, 07:31 PM
Now you know what it will be like to own a 6.9...
Bwahaahahah!  ;)

Actually, most the feedback i've had (and the feeling i got when i test drove one) was that they actually use almost identicle fuel to the 4.5L's as you don't have to put the foot down as much to get it off the line.  And when i drove one it felt like that exactly!
I only touched the accelerator and it was moving.  Of course this can lead to the side effect of swelling of the right foot.  ::)   :D

CraigS

and other body parts !

Quote from: SELfor50 on 04 November 2007, 07:38 PM
Of course this can lead to the side effect of swelling of the right foot.  ::)   :D
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

SELfor50

Quote from: CraigS on 05 November 2007, 02:43 AM
and other body parts !

Quote from: SELfor50 on 04 November 2007, 07:38 PM
Of course this can lead to the side effect of swelling of the right foot.  ::)   :D

Hahahaa.... If I had "Airbags Mk 7 - Final" my other body parts would be swelling well before I drove a 6.9!   :o  :D