News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

a key question

Started by zeppelinboy, 08 March 2006, 12:11 PM

zeppelinboy

So, when I got my 79 450 sel this weekend, the seller only provided me with one key (a square head key with a circle cut out of the middle) which operates the ignition. This key does not seem to fit into the door or trunk locks. I am assuming that the w116's require a seperate key for the door and ignition.
Is this correct?
If so, how can I go about getting a key made for the door locks, can I just pop on down to the MB dealership and provide them with the VIN and proof of ownership and get a key made, or would a locksmith be a better route, or will I have to have the lock cylinders replaced.

Thanks!

Justin

alabbasi

One key should fit all, unless you have a Vallet key. I suspect that someone changed your ignition barrel and this is why you have a mismatch. You can have the dealer order you a new key. The process for doing so is a pain in the butt! They need to see your title first and the key runs for about $35. Seeing as you have a mismatch, there is no guarantee that the key will work as your locks may have been changed.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

michaeld

Yes, zeppelinboy (led zeppelin?), alabassi is correct.  Proof of ownership, a VIN, and about $35 will get you a new key.  At worst, it sounds like you could possibly need to carry two keys: one to open the door, one to start the car.  I certainly wouldn't worry about monkeying around with a new ignition switch as long as the one you have does the trick.

Tomi

Well Led Zeppelin,

if that would happen to me here, I would simply take the door handles and the trunk lock and the glove bos cover and take them to the locksmith ( I know a good one here) and ask them to make the locks operate for the same key. They can do that.

But did you say the key has a square cross section, I have seen those too. The key profile has to be identical of course for the locks. One option is to hunt from ebay, they sell these lock sets together with the key for the w116, I have seen several of them. Stairway to heaven.

regards

John Hubertz

The nice thing is that since you have the ignition key, it is likely the original locksets are in the doors and trunk and a trip to the dealer will get you going, albeit with a 2 key system.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

Peter Anderson

My 280SE has a two key setup, which looks pretty original - the keys are branded the same, and have the same black plastic 'waffle' design on the fob. There is a square headed key for the ignition, which has the pattern cut down the sides of the key, and a smaller round headed key that operates all the locks which has the pattern incised down the middle on both sides of the key so that edges are straight (kind of like the key design of modern VW and Vauxhalls ie, UK branded Opels). There is also another valet key of the same design as the round headed key which just opens the drivers door (this has a smaller rectangular head!)

My 450SE had just 1 key for all the locks and ignition.

I'm confused....  ???

BAR

You must now realise that hte W116 was designed to have a single key which opened all the locks and operated the ignition.  As for your example, sometime in its life, either A] your ignition lock has been replaced or B] the door / boot locks were replaced - A is the most likely event.

Now do you want to go to the expense of replacing all locks so that they are 'keyed alike' or live with two keys?

Simple matter of economics.

OzBenzHead

Quote from: styria on 15 March 2006, 12:17 PM
It's my understanding that later models, at least, came with two keys. The first is a master key that operates ALL locks, whilst the second one could not be used to open the boot (and possibly the glovebox). This arrangement served the purpose that whenever the car went in for service, the second key was used which would prevent  prying eyes from opening the boot lid. Regards, Styria

Yup - that's the system mine (December '79) has. Master key has square head, valet key has oval head.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

AMG69

My ignition barrel failed on me last month; I now have 2 keys - a W126 ignition and the original to do everything else....I'm used to it now and cant be bothered redoing them all the same!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

BAR

Your replacement of the W126 ignition barrel is as I had suspected. Notwithstanding the 'valet' key that worked only ignition and doors.