News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

A few more noob questions...

Started by 1980sdga, 05 April 2011, 09:12 AM

1980sdga

No owners manual  :P

Soooo...

What does the D ring on the side of the front seats do?  I figured out the knob and the seat slider but can't figure the one on the side out!

I was also wondering how the rear defrost works. (If it has one)  It has a "coil" rocker above the ACC controls which I figure is for defrost  but I don't see any element on the back glass or vents for air.

Also, WTF are the little ducts that vent the dash air into the door panels? (Or door air into the dash)  I still haven't started fooling with the AC....

Things like these are what makes owning an old foreign car so cool!  Lots of strange stuff to explore!

Type17

The ring on the seats is to adjust the height of the seats - sort of slides them back and forward a bit too, but you then compensate for that with the "regular" lever for that.

The rear defrost is hidden in the glass - look at the glass at an angle in bright sunlight, and you'll see tiny vertical wires in the glass. The switch is timed - switch it on, and it stays running for about 30 mins, but you can cancel it early too.

Also note the switch for the rear-seat passengers' reading light, beside the defrost one.

The ducts direct air from the heater/AC into the door cards, which comes out of the cloth section, beside your thighs.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

Big_Richard

Quote from: Type17 on 05 April 2011, 11:58 AM

The ducts direct air from the heater/AC into the door cards, which comes out of the cloth section, beside your thighs.

Whats the actual purpose of this, ive never thought to try it out.

1980sdga

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 05 April 2011, 06:02 PM

Ze crazy Germans  ;D  To keep your azz warm!

Thanks for the info!  My rear light works and I have little reading lights in the C pillar that I haven't really checked out yet.

Are the defrosters pretty reliable?

Mforcer

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 05 April 2011, 06:02 PM

I don't believe the air is meant to come out through the cloth section of the doors but rather to heat or cool the door which should help control the temperature within the car. Heating or cooling the part of the car at which point the driver and front passenger are closest to the outside helps to control the outside heat/cold being felt inside. Doing it this way would reduce hot/cold zones within the cabin.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Type17

Quote from: Mforcer on 06 April 2011, 12:02 AM

I don't believe the air is meant to come out through the cloth section of the doors but rather to heat or cool the door which should help control the temperature within the car. Heating or cooling the part of the car at which point the driver and front passenger are closest to the outside helps to control the outside heat/cold being felt inside. Doing it this way would reduce hot/cold zones within the cabin.

That's probably a more accurate description - the heat comes out of the door, rather than hot air itself - either way, it works a treat, as I found last winter.

Also, I got the controls on the seat reversed - the side ring moves the seat up and down (with a little fore-and-aft movement as well), and the front ring allows the full fore-and-aft movement (and compensates for the height adjuster's input).
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

sannerud

Found a testdrive of a 450SE  from Modern Motor, June 1975.  Here is a scan of the part where  they explain the arrangement in the door :)

1980sdga

Thanks for posting that!  Pretty d@mned neat!