News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

80s 300SD throttle linkage / rubber

Started by Drillbit_97, 02 September 2024, 10:32 PM

Drillbit_97

Hello All I am new to the forum and happy to be here and collect info and contribute where I can.

I purchased a 1980 300SD about a year ago. It needs a lot of work but I did not want to shy away from it.

I live in canada so the winters are rough, I bought the car of the original owners son for $1200 Canadian (around 900 usd) bought the car not running but i was not worried fired up first crank  ;D . it sat for about 12 years in the elements cleaned off a few times but never used for 12ish years.

as a result the linkage was solid so about 2 bottle of pen oil and 30 minutes of loosening and it is now back to working. I then drove the car for about a week small trips as a test trial and noticed one day a fuel leak. one of the lines was removed and I noticed that the linkage had this rubber that is basically gone at this point. I am unsure if that oil I was using burned it up but if I drive it now it will force the fuel lines off injectors. Have not really had time to spend to fix the car lately and admittedly haven't drove it since.

I was wondering if any of you know where I can get a replacement part, if you do not know what I am referring to here is a link to a form of what It should look like
https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/1979-300sd-throttle-linkage-quesiton/
months ago I found a form with a diagram but I can no longer find it again... but I found what I wrote down as a part number from a print out : A 617 072 01 50  (Bushing)

The car has many other issues I need to address just to name a few:
water leaks/ seals (likely sunroof seal)
small hole in floor below driver seat  (caused by water being trapped below seat frame)
Guage cluster issues (RPM,fuel already had to bypass POT for backlights)
Possible fuel sending unit...
relay glow plug circuit (worked for a while and became stuck on unsure if its cluster issue)
  A/C + radio/extras
  windows (regulators????  driver works, passenger half down, pass rear no movement, driver rear moves down but knocks on when at top... might not be an issue)

I think I can also buy another car a 74  (I think 280s) that I can steal a lot of parts off of interior wise, don't know if I should just spend a grand to buy that and not worry about finding some of these parts.

if anyone has recommendations for radio upgrades that would be great, want to keep it period so I was thinking of upgrading to the newer late 80's early 90s grand prix (simply for memory FM stations), or a period Alpine or Nakamichi if I could get one. also speaker brand that is not bassy.

my priorities right now are the linkage, floor, guage cluster. the rest can wait a bit especially as I have time till next summer now.

I am only 20 and I am a student and am working at a coop job and have other responsibilities so this keeps being pushed back and back. I just dont want to go another year without doing these repairs, even if I do one repair per weekend its progress.

Thank you for your time any reply is appreciated  ;D

Drillbit_97

Hello wow was not expecting quick reply... it appears you sent me a link to a W126 linkage page.. not sure how to navigate that site but the part I need is hard to find because from what I can tell it is only used on the 78-80 W116 300SD making it a real unicorn.

daantjie

Ok yes maybe one of the diesel guys will chime in, you might have to source a complete shaft 2nd hand.  Sometimes you get lucky on ebay.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

daantjie

I looked at this some more and it looks like this large rubber block is actually part of the "STOP" lever assembly. Looks like part number 6170703622 or 6170703022.  Looks like there were revisions to this part over the years so you'll have to match to what you have.
If you look at this ebay seller he has multiple used ones for sale but only one shows the rubber buffer intact.  Maybe contact the seller for better pics of this unit and buy if it still looks in good shape:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/226307421526?_nkw=Mercedes+stop+lever&itmmeta=01J6V5B0281CHY4F6Q9TT2QW9B&hash=item34b0f93556:g:8scAAOSw3Llmxs3o&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKkk%2FqbKjBvuExKjxYlsYfy3Q6f8JcanfEuJkFhednDU86iAoO0UldZMMdgZVzEM3slDUtm%2FW6jc4JQJyBIh04PETQAHcV6cf6deEJ5B6iy742L6aa1Hy%2FwgwGkkpMpWm5Q0eOV3wuwDLk5h48yAY76QkP42r%2FthxWxOL%2FoLnNqFTWoGMzYTz7H4mIGOlO5Em2sl4vJ41NMocE3H29JI5f2ctG5b8DEkBRvmJHSkgPtgm5QAqPvRquxiAMu7s6Rqyb0%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5iBrOW2ZA
Daniel

rumb

I've heard of people fashioning a new spacer and then bolting the assembly together.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

There's also this seller selling a homemade replacement.  Looks well made albeit quite pricey:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325719123430
Daniel