News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

79 280SE - Steering lock removal

Started by c107, 20 August 2022, 03:25 AM

c107

Hello,
I have a fairly newly acquired 79 280SE that I have been struggling with the steering lock.
When I got the car, the lock was a bit sticky, but not too bad, so I had on my list to remove the tumbler and have a look.

I went to take the car on a drive, and I couldn't turn the key at all.   Eventually after about a week of trying (probably 5 hours total) I finally got it it to turn to position 1.

I was able to push in a tiny allen key and unlock the tumbler, however the collar will not budge no matter what I do - I purchased a tool, i've tried channel locks etc and it just won't move.   I've done this job before on various W123's and W126s and normally the collar is very easy to turn.   Just to make sure I wasn't missing something I went to remove the barrel from my parts 420SEL and I had it out in less than 5 minutes.   

I got a spare steering lock from a friend that I hope to fit but the problem is because I can't get the collar off, I can't seem to get clearance to remove the steering lock.   I unscrewed the bolts hold up the steering column and pushed it down a bit, but I can withdraw the steering lock about 2cm and its about 10cm long.

As with the w126 I have, the collar was very easy to remove on the spare steering lock.   I'm at a bit of a loss of what do do next without dismantling half of the dash.   I welcome any suggestions.   
Bryce
79 280SE

c107

Some photos to help illustrate:

2022-08-11 21.13.35.jpg

Using the special took to try and unscrew the collar.  no go. 

2022-08-20 17.44.29.jpg

Steering column dropped a bit, trying to push out the lock.

2022-08-20 17.45.48.jpg

It's moved about 2cm, only 8 or so to go!   
Bryce
79 280SE