News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

'76 450SEL Exhaust manifold removal....

Started by 76116, 12 January 2014, 10:25 PM

...anyone here been through this?  Getting odds and ends together to replace the cat/manis  with non-cat manis from a '79....there's a reason why these SELs are called Hindenburgs at the local repairshops...high underhood temps,  fatigued rubber fuel bits,  hot metal and wvooom, no more 116 :(

I'm concerned about having the heads threads stripped out while pulling these off.  Exhaust will be unbuttoned first, yes.  Looks easier coming from beneath.....anyone been here before, chime in...

ptashek

Quote from: 76116 on 12 January 2014, 10:25 PM
...anyone here been through this?  Getting odds and ends together to replace the cat/manis  with non-cat manis from a '79....there's a reason why these SELs are called Hindenburgs at the local repairshops...high underhood temps,  fatigued rubber fuel bits,  hot metal and wvooom, no more 116 :(

I'm concerned about having the heads threads stripped out while pulling these off.  Exhaust will be unbuttoned first, yes.  Looks easier coming from beneath.....anyone been here before, chime in...

I've done it once, and I'd say it all depends on the condition of the pins and how badly they've managed to seize inside the head. The ones on my 350 were never touched on one side, and taken out at some stage on the other. The untouched ones came out without problems, the other side needed a lot of careful persuasion with penetrating oil and a torque wrench. It's crucial to take it easy with the torque, otherwise the pins will just shear off.

I've done it top-side as by that time most of the engine bay was out already.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Thanks pal....these have never been off, so ought to be good...

marku

That's good advice - you cannot be too careful and even then I managed to shear several off. Then managed to break a stud extractor off in one stud. That had to be spark eroded to get it out. The easiest way to get the broken ones out was to weld bolts to them.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

Squiggle Dog

Why yes, I have removed a set of these (Euro 1979 450SE). ;) There is not much room to work in there. I had to use a combination of 12 and 13mm sockets, open end and ratcheting wrenches. And a lot of PB Blaster. The bolts attaching the manifolds to the exhaust are very hard to reach. I had to cut the exhaust and lower the manifolds to access them. But, it's not a job you have to do very often (hopefully).
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

djetronicista

I replaced the Drivers side on my 73 Euro because it was cracked and used the bolts from a later model the original nuts and bolts kept seizing anyways, something to think about when replacing  :)
73 mbz 450 SE
78 XJ12 (6ltr from 94)
53 Desoto

koan

I've taken 6.9 exhaust manifolds off, some nuts just about inaccessable but in all cases either the nut came off or the nut and stud came out as one, no drama.
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!